Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6888 The Crescent Nebula in Ha and OIII

MartinB

It's in Cygnus in a region rich in Ha nebulosity. About 5000 light years away and 25 light years across. The central star is a Wolf - Rayet star. These are big big stars getting a bit long in the tooth and scheduled to become supernovae. As it starts to run out of steam it sheds some of it's outer gases which subsequently interact with stellar wind to produce an intricate nebula. A similar process forms the nebula known as Thor's Helmet. From an imaging point of view they are rather like planetary nebulae being rich in Ha and OIII which interact very nicely.

The OIII is dimmer and delicate. I wanted to pick out the OIII whilst retaining the Ha colour and detail which was a bit of a processing challenge (for me anyway). I've had a lean time of it over the past year and this is my first image for a long time. I'd almost forgotten how to use photoshop.

Scope: Skywatcher MN190

Camera: QSI 532wsg (built in OAG)

Filters: Baader 7nm Ha and OIII

Ha 11x30mins OIII 12x30mins Captured over several nights

Captured, calibrated and aligned in Maxim. Deconvolved in CCDStack and finished in PS

post-148-0-73181500-1348521149_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm pleased with how it's turned out but I'm sure I'll go back to it. Would like to sort out those small cyan stars and the slightly plasticky appearance of the bright left hand part of the neb.

Archived