How hard can it be to buy the mix you want?

It is annoying that all the astro suppliers seem to sell exactly the same packages. Why do all the small newts come with EQ mounts? And all compact AZs come with GOTO? And the "same" scope as an OTA is always irritatingly different eg the 130P becomes DS with one 2" EP or the finder is mounted in the wrong position or whatever.

I'm seriously considering ordering a 130P EQ2, binning the mount and trying to find somewhere that stocks the aluminium AZ4. Then I think I'd have the lightweight grab'n'go visual mix I'm after.

It's because all astro supplier get the packages from the same manufacturer. The mount and OTA comes out the the Skywatcher factory in the same box. If you want the exact kit you want, you just have to buy those individually.

If you just want a 130p on a Alt Az mount, there's the Heritage 130p dob.

Quite right. If you don't see what you want, then it is time to ask your local dealer. Trust me, these folks live for this stuff. Tell them what you want and give them the challenge, I'm sure they can find (or put together) a package to suit you. This is where you really get your money's worth from the dealer's expertise - and you get just what you want in a telescope package.

Dan

Speak to the nice man at FLO, they may be able to help you if you tell them what you want.

packages are designed for the masses. that is why a canon 1100d usually comes with a 18/55mm lens. you don't have to buy a package, just be prepared to pay more. if a dealer offers packages with every combintion then its no longer a package is it. not ideal for the consumer but we can't expect dealers to carry everything can we? it's hard enough in business without having to carry stock that may only appeal to a limited market. i'm sure you can get what you want, you'll just have to be prepared to wait.

i'm not trying to be nasty, just stating the facts.

Scott

If you ask if any can construct the equipment you want as a package then best to ask at least 2 better 3 or 4. Some may not be big enough to have the bits around to do it, even if they sell a decent range. Maybe some would not want to do it.

Otherwise it comes to cost, where if you wamt bits A, B, C and D then you end up paying for each item individually.

Most of my kit has been bought used. Often scopes, mounts, eyepieces, etc have become separated.

This makes it easier to put together the package that suits you.

Though you can't get everything in one day with a phone call or a few mouse clicks.

Last time I looked at buying new 'basic' scopes and mounts, the OTA price was only a few ££ short of the (wrong mount) package price.

These packages are often targetted at first time buyers who want a full kit out of one box.

But in these economically challenging times, maybe the retailers will be more flexible.

Slightly off the original topic. But relevant as the OP is looking for new kit.

A nice example of why we buy from astro retailers, not the cheapest box shifter.

A couple of years back I was browsing the shelves at Rother Valley optics and overheard a conversation. Someone came in to ask about the SW130 scope he had bought a few months back. He described the poor views. After asking a couple of questions, Ian decided collimation was the likely culprit. The customer was told to bring the scope in and it would be checked/sorted it while-u-wait. The cost - nothing. The customer would of course get a free lesson in collimating a Newtonian while looking on.

Last year I was in PC World. A display of (low end quality) Celestron Newtonian scopes caught my eye and I wandered over. A sales-hungry assistant quickly pounced. I decided to act as if I had little scope knowledge but was interested in buying. The salesman knew virtually nothing about the scope performance, limitations, etc. Magnification (on the box) was known, but not how to calculate it for himself. He did though assure me it would give very good results and not need any optical alignment or adjustment of any sort for many years.

Now definitely off topic. Would I trust this shop's advice on computer kit? Definitely not.

... trying to find somewhere that stocks the aluminium AZ4. Then I think I'd have the lightweight grab'n'go visual mix I'm after.

We have chosen not to offer the AZ4 mount with aluminium tripod because we feel it would not be a successful combination. The AZ4 is a capable mount that really 'needs' the steel-pipe tripod to reach it's full potential.

Seems to me that most of the suppliers on the net are just box shifters. Everywhere has the same packages, same descriptions and much the same prices. Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap-ish and I'm sure many of the vendors know very little about astronomy.

Consider sharing your thoughts with the manufacturer's importer/distributor because it is they who decide who does and who does not become a dealer for their products.

For Skywatcher contact Optical Vision Ltd

For Celestron it is David Hinds Ltd

HTH,

Steve

I don't really understand why any scope is sold on an EQ1 or EQ2 mount. To me it would make much more sense to sell them on an alt-az.

Some of us like EQ mounts. :laugh: Even the EQ1 for my Skymax 90 is useful, if a little flimsy. I like being able to find something and then track it by just turning one knob, whilst my Dob-owning friends lose their target in the time it takes to change an eyepiece.

I do agree though, that it would be better to be able to mix-and-match to get the combination you want. Astro kit, like many other things, is a personal choice and what works for one person doesn't work for another.

It's not true that small Newts are always on EQs. You have the alt-azimuth option with the Dobsonian which is an outstanding alt-az design, hence its popularity.

Some EQ mounts can be canted over to the position you'd use on the equator and then they work as alt-az. I used to do this with one of the SW mounts at one time when I didn't want to polar align. You do need the counterweight, though.

Olly

Archived