NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16th September 2012 - A Superb Binocular Tour of the September Sky

Double Kick Drum

Partied out from Saturday (my belated 40th), I decided to have a binocular tour in what were truly clear skies. Ursa Minor could be seen in its entirity, the Milky way was visible from the North of Aquila all the way to Perseus (and this is with one or two neighbour's lights still on!). It would have been nice to have a big scope session but work tomorrow and fatigue have conspired against me.

Hercules: Both M13 and M92 stood out nicely. So I said goodbye to them for the year.

Pegasus: Globular cluster M15 was barely inferior to M13.

Aquarius: M2 was less clear but still easy enough to pick up.

Vulpecula: Brocci's cluster (a.k.a. the Coathanger) lokked resplendent and M27, the Dumbbell nebula was very clear and bright.

Sagitta: M71 came through nicely like a cross between a globular and an open cluster.

Cygnus: M39 was lovely, M29 came through nicely, NGC 7000 (Caldwell 20) - almost certain. There seemed to be a paler patch of sky rather than any haze and I think I could detect a dark knot roughly where the gulf of Mexico should be. The sky was nowhere near good enough to see anything close to the distinctive shape but I am pretty sure I have cracked it. I also could see the Cygnus rift reasonably clearly. I can't remember noticing that from home before.

Casseopeia: Fast becoming a favourite constellation. I managed to identify, M52, NGC 7789 (easiest of the new finds and quite large), NGC 129, NGC 225, NGC 457, M103 and NGC 663 (all open clusters). There were many other named parts of the constellation I absorbed but did not note.

Andromeda: M31, the Andromeda galaxy was as big and bright as I have seen it. Definitely managed M32 in binoculars for the first time, possibly M110 but am far less sure: I have only managed with my scope a couple of times.

Triangulum: It was not that high in the sky but M33 was no problem at all. And to think I once had problems with this one, I could look directly at it in binoculars.

Perseus: NGC 869 and NGC 884, the Double cluster looked beautiful given it is nowhere its zenith yet. M34 very good too.

The best bincular session for a very long time indeed. Great stuff!

__________________________________________________ ______

Observing Session: Sunday 16th September 2012, 21:10 hrs to 21:55 hrs BST

VLM at Zenith: 5.4 - 5.5

New - Revisited - Failed

Gripping account.Do you mind me asking if it were your 15 x 70 Adler binoculars& what were they mounted on?

Martin suffering light pollution in South Herts. :cool:

Gripping account.Do you mind me asking if it were your 15 x 70 Adler binoculars& what were they mounted on?

Martin suffering light pollution in South Herts. :cool:

I do have a cheap camera tripod I sometimes use but normally they are just held by hand or rested on whatever I can find. They are quite light for a pair of binoculars that size.

Just seen this one, very nice session DKD. Nothing quite like relaxing with a pair of binos taking it all in and enjoying the whole sky.

NGC7000 has been one I've wanted to see properly for ages. I suspect I got it in Dorset but not well enough to be satisfied that it was definitely it. Maybe at PSP.

Stu

Archived