SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

No more wet knees :). Pillar extention test.

Marki

After reading the advice on many SGLs, and notably Hex (formerly Caldwell) and John, I decided to invest in a 16" pillar extention for my EQ5. Finally got to give it a try out last night, with my TAL125r on top.

post-20607-0-08762300-1347713602_thumb.j

Here we are all set up in the garden.

post-20607-0-49966800-1347713478_thumb.j

I have to say, I wish I'd done this ages ago - its made observing anywhere near the zenith hugely easier. As the topic title says, no more wet knees! I spent a lot more time around Vega and in Lyra than I have recently, and found it was more easy to find stuff too. Being more comfortable and not contorted into weird positions to get to the eyepiece, I was much better able to concentrate on the stars and DSOs I wanted to see, with the results I could spend more time on a specific target and give my eyes the time needed to adapt without shifting position and hence seeing more detail. When observing towards the horizon (well, about 20-30degress above - my horizons are blocked by trees/houses etc.), the eyepiece is pretty much at headheight for me (I'm only about 5'6"), and when angled towards the Zenith I don't really have to bend too much to view comfortably.

The whole experience was significantly more pleasurable than I;ve had before. I think combined with an adjustable chair, it will be even better.

Couple of draw backs - its a bit more of a pain to setup/transport depending on how you break it all down (in part because the mount screws into the top plate of the pillar, and then that is screwed back onto the main body of the pillar). Also, I felt the whole thing shift a few times on the tripod, but realised I hadn't fully tightened the mount to the top of the pillar - bit of a faff undoing the hex screws to get the top off but otherwise fine. I'll remember to do this before I go out next time. Still found the finderscope not always ideally placed - might get a RACI fitted, as well as the straight-through version (or replace that with a telrad/rigel).

All in all - I would thoroughly recommend getting one of these, if you are a refractor user. Maybe a bit pricey at £90 (from Widescreen Centre), but I ithink that the gain in terms of comfort and increasing endurance at the eyepiece is more than amply repaid.

I totally agree about getting hold of a pillar extension, does make a difference although it does add a little bit more weight to my NEQ6 (can't be bothered to undo it! :grin: ) when I am carrying it around. Depending on what weight of the scope you are using, I too have found that the pillar can swivel round despite tightening it up. The problem seems to be that the bolt normally attached to the tripod needs to be transferred to the top of the extension to connect with the mount head but there is no aperture on the bottom of the extension to except a bolt placed on the tripod in prevent any spin (HEQ5 doesn't use a bolt system of fixing). To solve it, I cut up a large circular washer made out of that spongy material that stops plates slipping off of trays and when the pillar is tightened against the tripod with this 'washer' in between, it does seem to prevent things turning around - just!. The pillar extension really does make a difference.

James

It's an essential accessory for us refractor users - that looks a great set up Mark :smiley:

I've replaced the hex screws on the top end of mine with finger nuts so that I can attach and detach the mount head as a "no tools" operation.

I use mine on a a 2" steel tubed CG5 tripod. It's more grab and grunt than grab and go but still can be moved around the garden during a session which is important to me.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an essential accessory for us refractor users - that looks a great set up Mark :smiley:

I've replaced the hex screws on the top end of mine with finger nuts so that I can attach and detach the mount head as a "no tools" operation.

I use mine on a a 2" steel tubed CG5 tripod. It's more grab and grunt than grab and go but still can be moved around the garden during a session which is important to me.

Good idea John, where did you get the finger nuts from & what size did you go for?

I just got something similar from Astrotec Limited http://www.astrotecl...o.uk/index.html

(£65 inc. postage.) A great benefit if you are using GOTO - no more worry about end of 'scope/top of tripod encounters!

Mal what do you think of the pillar from them? im thinking of buying one from there too for the newt - 5" pillar so the newt clears the legs on my eq5 - been annoying me for ages!!

Mal what do you think of the pillar from them? im thinking of buying one from there too for the newt - 5" pillar so the newt clears the legs on my eq5 - been annoying me for ages!!

I'm happy with mine, does what it says on the tin! Fast despatch, and they make them to order so you can specify what length/colour you want too.

• 3 years later...

Archived