Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6946 & NGC 6939 - DSLR

Betelgeuze

Fellow astronomers,

because of the positive feedback I got on my NGC 7331 & Stephen's Quintet (which I am very pleased of), I want to share my NGC 6946 (Fireworks Galaxy) & NGC 6939 (Open Starcluster).

I'm new to this forum, almost either to astronomy so I hope to learn a lot new here. :)

Exposure:

49x270sec

Flats, Darks

Equipment:

8" f/4 Newton

EQ-6 Skyscan

Lacerta MGEN2

EOS 550D - no modification

processed with PixInsight

CS,

Simon

7821889520_11ddfe4c42_b.jpg

final_cc_NGC 6946 von Betelgeuse93 auf Flickr

This is seriously good stuff you're posting, good to have you aboard SGL:) Which make of f/4 Newt are you using? I recken one of these will be my next step up from the 150p once I'm in my Obsy, I here they take a fair amount of tweaking to keep collimated though?

Chris

Originally my Newton was an Altair Optics Imaging Newtonian. I had a lot of problems with collimation so I built in a Orion UK primary mirror cell and in addition to that a new secondary mirror (Orion UK 74mm) for better field illumination. If I bought a new Newton, i would not go for cheap makes again. Bad workmanship can be a pain in the ass.

Thanks for your nice response though :)

As you can see on this picture, I had distorted stars because of primary mirror pinching...

Originally my Newton was an Altair Optics Imaging Newtonian. I had a lot of problems with collimation so I built in a Orion UK primary mirror cell and in addition to that a new secondary mirror (Orion UK 74mm) for better field illumination. If I bought a new Newton, i would not go for cheap makes again. Bad workmanship can be a pain in the ass.

I think Altair would sell a lot more of these f/4 Newts if they simply replaced the flimsy springs with stronger ones, I here quite often that poeple have bought cheap SW or Altair f/4's and just moving the scope around knocks out collimation. I would be willing to pay the extra fiver it would cost for better mirror cell springs, Altair and SW if your listening :D I pretty much know that if I got one I would have to tinker with it, they arn't half cheap though and I'm a cheap kind of guy:D

Archived