NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iPad Apps

phw26

I'm a fan of Sky Safari plus. Perfectly well appointed and cheaper than Pro and with my skies I don't need all those extra stars in the DB. Do your homework over which version before you buy as there is no in-app upgrade path or buy back so you'd have to purchase again.

I'm a fan of Sky Safari plus. Perfectly well appointed and cheaper than Pro and with my skies I don't need all those extra stars in the DB. Do your homework over which version before you buy as there is no in-app upgrade path or buy back so you'd have to purchase again.

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded the basic vevison for a couple of pounds. I will use it and deciied whether to upgrade.

I sometimes use Sky Safari Pro but only sometimes.....

The problem with using any kind of app is no matter what you do to the screen brightness or how you try to cover it it will always emit unwanted light which ruins your dark adaption.

If you turn Sky Safari into Night Mode then turn the screen brightness down to 0% its still throws out a huge amount of light which will be more than enough to stop you seeing faint details in galaxies and nebula.

I made a mask to go over the ipad screen with some gaffa tape and red acetate which really helps but I still only keep my ipad near me when I'm viewing globs or open clusters, for galaxies and nebulae I go back to using my Sky Atlas and a red torch.

post-20821-0-17063600-1347433971_thumb.j

Sky Safari+ has more than enough in its database to keep a newbie occupied and is a great way to navigate when you use the scope control with an f10 scope.

Star hopping is fun, but there are times when you want to add a stunning object to your custom list so you can slew to it out without messing about with a hand controller.

With the London skies I put up with the screen brightness is not such a big deal.

I use Sky Safari Plus and initially thought it should be enough given the level of LP I suffer here, but then while out last weekend I was trying to verify I was in the right place for something faint and it was missing stars! I had enough of a pattern in the end, but had me thinking about Pro... :eek:

I sometimes use Sky Safari Pro but only sometimes.....

The problem with using any kind of app is no matter what you do to the screen brightness or how you try to cover it it will always emit unwanted light which ruins your dark adaption.

If you turn Sky Safari into Night Mode then turn the screen brightness down to 0% its still throws out a huge amount of light which will be more than enough to stop you seeing faint details in galaxies and nebula.

I made a mask to go over the ipad screen with some gaffa tape and red acetate which really helps but I still only keep my ipad near me when I'm viewing globs or open clusters, for galaxies and nebulae I go back to using my Sky Atlas and a red torch.

Thanks for that very interesting

I've just been out and used both star walk and skysafari pro to see which one is best.

I only used them for andromeda really but sky safari pro was quite a bit more accurate as to where andromeda is. There's a lot more information too!

If you're just wanting to spend a couple of quid then I'd definitely recommend star walk!

Solar walk is pretty good too!

Thanks for all of replies and suggestions. I have gone for Safari + with a sky wire adaptor, set up was a piece on cake. Had my scope up and running in a few mins. Just need a clear sky now.

Archived