NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shared viewing.

cotterless45

I went to see some good friends. Bill is 91 and his wife is a tiny bit younger. I asked if they had ever seen the Sun through a scope and if they had time to view.

I set up the Vixen 90 with a solar filter in their garden and they brought out the kitchen chair. An hour later Bill was still at the eyepiece, changing filters and counting up to 12 sunspots. Mollyl was itching to have a go !

With catarachs in both eyes she managed 6 spots.

They were both amazed and delighted by the sight of the Sun's disc.We had a very enjoyable two hour session.

Bill was a pilot in WW2 and has an amazing grasp of anything technical and engineered. On his 2nd training flight , the trainer unplugged his joystick and passed it back to Bill, "you're flying her now!".

I asked if they had seen the Moon through a scope, "no, but can you please come back?"

Don't be keeping all your viewing to yourself!!!!

Nick

showing others things through my scopes and seeing their reaction is one of the great pleasures of this hobby. my favourite reaction was of my 8 year old nephew who said on seeing Saturn for the first time 'it looks cartoony'. how right he was.

Archived