NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cutting metal?

TheThing

I've got a metal bar that was originally for mounting a guide scope. I need to have it cut down in size to make a 'dovetail' of sorts.

It's about 5-6mm thick, so beyond my capabilities with a jigsaw.

Any ideas please?

TheThing

Do you know what sort of metal it is? If it's aluminium then I'd probably give it a go with a hacksaw. If it's steel I might be more tempted to take the angle grinder to it and clean it up afterwards, but failing that take it to someone who has the appropriate tools for the job.

James

If steel then I go along with the grinder with a good disc on it. I use a disc for cutting stainless steel as it cuts much better and lasts longer. I have cut 6mm with a jigsaw with a decent, fine toothed blade but slowly and with plenty of cutting oil.

If Aluminium I would certainly give the jigsaw a go.

Alternatively find your local metal jobbing shop, metal stockist or garage who will have a decent bandsaw / mechanical hacksaw and will cut it in no time. Probably for a donation to their "coffee fund".

David

As has been said, standard full size Hacksaw with an 18 TPI good quality high Speed steel blade, ( not one from China ) will cut either 6mm steel or alloy, but make sure you hold you bar in a vice though, finish off with a file :)

John.

Archived