Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele Vue Powermate 2.5x

John

Not quite what this thread was for, but can someone explain to me what they mean by this?

The 2.5x Powermate is ideal for long focus CCD imaging or film photography, magnifying about 4x. It is an attractive high performance alternative to eye piece projection. Fitted with a 1.25inch barrel, it includes a brass clamp ring, filter threads and captive screw. (It also accepts the photographic adapter ring PTR-1250).

Is it a 2.5x barlow or a 4 x barlow - I know that the distance between barlow / CCD or barlow / EP increases or decreases the magnification. It's just I have never seen it advertised like that!

Ant

Powermates come with a leaflet that includes an article by Al Nagler. It says: "I had to go beyond the simple Barlow concept to achieve the goal of a compact, high power, fully corrected image amplifier. Powermate consists of a negative achromatic doublet plus a positive 'pupil correcting' doublet." I have a 4X Powermate which does a much better job than my Meade 2X Barlow despite its higher power - Hugh.

I've owned the entire Powermate set....not at the same time i hasten to add. Bought the 2.5x first which was worth every penny in the Intes 603. Then swapped the 2.5 for a 5x to go with my newt. And then swapped the 5x 1.25" for a 4x 2" (which is a beast.....huge/heavy). All were faultless whether for imaging or for visual. The 4x combined with a 19mm Panoptic in an ED100 was absolutely breathtaking on Saturn.

And £89 is a bargain. I paid £95 SH for the 2.5x.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived