Deep space colour

When i look at galaxies, they appear as grey smudges of light against the dark background of space, but my brain fills in the gaps and i see a mental image of what i see online.

The human brain really is an amazing machine.

I also think of the distance and time that the light from objects has taken to reach my eyes.

That truely amazes me.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember my genetics correctly, colour vision is on the X chromosome: one of the sex chromosomes. Chromosomes come in pairs. As men only have one X chromosome, if the gene is faulty or missing, they'll be colour blind as the Y chromosome doesn't carry the gene. But women can have a faulty or missing gene on one of the X chromosomes and a functional one on the other and see colour fine (I think!). Women need both X chromosomes to be affected to be colour blind. This is why men are more likely to have colour blindness than women.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Alexxx

If I remember my genetics correctly, colour vision is on the X chromosome: one of the sex chromosomes. Chromosomes come in pairs. As men only have one X chromosome, if the gene is faulty or missing, they'll be colour blind as the Y chromosome doesn't carry the gene. But women can have a faulty or missing gene on one of the X chromosomes and a functional one on the other and see colour fine (I think!). Women need both X chromosomes to be affected to be colour blind. This is why men are more likely to have colour blindness than women.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Alexxx

I didnt even show up in secondary school the day we were going to find out our blood types in biology, so i aint gonna argue with you.

Next they will be saying women are better at multi-tasking ............oh darn it.

It's all pure speculation and looks like it hasn't been explored before - I mean whether women can 'see' colour in DSOs better than men. There you go, a new scientific paper someone can write, thanks to the SGL community.

I can see colour in some DSO,s with my 10" Dob. Mainly planetary nebula, some of which have quite striking colour. For example I was observing NGC6543 the cats eye nebula only the other night. This was bright green, no question about it.

Away from planetary nebula only the great nebula in Orion has shown any colour.

good point, well made Steve. for some reason when asked this question I never think of planetaries. of course they have colour, usually blue/green.

Archived