NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barry Kaan

TheThing

Anyone every come across this chap before? Hails from Malaga in Spain.

I posted a wanted on Astronomy Buy Sell about a week ago and today he has contacted me to say he has the item I'm looking for. He's sent me a picture which doesn't appear to be a 'stock' photo from the interweb. The item retails at £90 and he is asking €80 or about £63. Nothing to untoward so far.

However, he wants payment by Western Union Money transfer which seems to ring alarm bells with me.

Am I right in thinking it's all a bit fishy or being too over cautious?

TheThing

Sometimes you just need to run these things past someone else. :D

I'm asking him why he won't for Paypal and for another photo on today's paper with my name written on.

Let's see if I hear from him again...

TheThing

@ The Thing

I came across the same Barry Kaan earlier today claiming he is from Malaga, also after posting an ad on astrobuysell, for a skywatcher explorer 300pds eq6 which he wants to sell me for 1200 euros (about £950) which is a good 800 off the retail price. I would be interested to know if you find anything more out about him, and if he has replied to you. Likewise, I'll let you know if I find out more. It seems like its too good but if it really is legit I wouldn't want to miss that kind of deal, probably similar to yourself

He has replied saying he doesn't have a Paypal account and he can't take the photo I requested, but he is an honest seller!

I have told him I know he is a scammer and to peddle his lies elsewhere or get a proper job.

Thanks to all for confirming my suspicions and saving a loss.

TheThing

ABS webmaster Paul has posted a warning about this person now: http://www.astrobuys....php?view=59912

From the link: "Regretfully I must advise users to ignore ALL queries from Spain, with apologies to our honest Spanish amateur astronomers"

You can't just blacklist an entire country! Surely the best you can do is name & shame any individuals or organisations you find out about. Advising users to ignore all queries from Spain seems to be a huge over reaction to me, and one that is obiously unfair to the honest Spanish users.

I had one transaction on ABS with a Spanish buyer.

It went well in that I sold the item and got paid.

However, the buyer was not honest.

Sob story, can I sell for £10 less, etc. Out of work, etc. Didn't get as far as his 17 sick grannies to support, but we might have given time.

This guy was a buy/sell merchant posing as an amateur buying his own kit.

An increasing problem on ABS, which I'm pleased to say is dealt with heavily here.

I don't have a problem with people buying and selling to make money. What does annoy me is when they claim to be something else. Declaring your status is part of the ABS conditions but sadly not well enforced.

Some time later, this person had a scope to sell that interested me. However, I walked away. Why? Surely I could trust him having dealt before? No I could not trust him. He had lied about his status in an earlier transaction.

On ABS I always look at length of membership, number of adverts and possible links to SGL. Most of the people there are genuine, but you need to be aware of the minority who are not.

This guy was a buy/sell merchant posing as an amateur buying his own kit.

An increasing problem on ABS, which I'm pleased to say is dealt with heavily here.

I don't have a problem with people buying and selling to make money. What does annoy me is when they claim to be something else. Declaring your status is part of the ABS conditions but sadly not well enforced.

There's a fine line between scammers and these traders, neither are honest about their status and intentions. Both the SGL Classifieds and AB&S clearly state their purpose being to provide an area for genuine amateurs to buy/sell kity at a fair price to both buyer and seller.

Spotting traders is just as easy as the scammers when you post an item at a fair price. You'll receive numerous messages from genuine buyers asking if the item is still available (no quibbles over price) then you will get the odd trader message 'lecturing' you on why it's clearly not worth that amount and you should be grateful to take their offer of a vastly reduced price.

I think Paul has the right idea banning every one from Spain to protect us all.

He does go on to say if you are genuine to contact him with your details , so he is giving the honest Spanish sellers & buyers the chance to seperate themselves from the scammers , it's sad it's come down to this but I can understand as I've had two scammers try to get my hard earnt money before , so in doing what he is doing will give us confidence that we can deal with Spanish people knowing that they have been checked out , and if they are honest people they would understand why it has to be like this and if they are genuine they shouldn't mind having to go through the process , as they would be very angry if they were scammed especially if it was from a fellow spannish person.

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding second hand astro sites in Spain, pretty certain there's nothing ike that. Shame really as the postage to UK from here is what has stopped me from selling anything that I can not get into a case and take back to the UK.

Archived