Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Urgh!!

laser_jock99

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never knew slugs could run so fast. Do they bite? :grin:

I'm never going outside again!

I dont think snails or slugs can "bite" as such, but i'm sure i heard once that they can do something similar to you but without penetrating the skin. I think they excrete something from their mouth that can cause a nasty rash on your skin.

Is this true?

I cant say.

I dont think snails or slugs can "bite" as such, but i'm sure i heard once that they can do something similar to you but without penetrating the skin. I think they excrete something from their mouth that can cause a nasty rash on your skin.

They don't "bite", no. They have a strange tongue-like thing that has lots of rows of microscopic teeth that are regularly replaced, I believe, and they use that as a sort of rasp to scrape food into their gut. I guess if you had a big one try to do that to your skin it might leave a rash. All gastropods do the same as far as I know and there are some that are carnivorous, so I imagine at least a few might not be pleasant if they decided you were lunch.

James

They don't "bite", no. They have a strange tongue-like thing that has lots of rows of microscopic teeth that are regularly replaced, I believe, and they use that as a sort of rasp to scrape food into their gut. I guess if you had a big one try to do that to your skin it might leave a rash. All gastropods do the same as far as I know and there are some that are carnivorous, so I imagine at least a few might not be pleasant if they decided you were lunch.

James

Thats what i am talking about. So it is true to a degree.

Archived