NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light Coronado PST

Lee

Coronado PST,

Why is it that every time a new toy arrives it always manages to turn up on a day that's ether cloudy or you have arranged to go out with friends for some meal that you don't really want to go to?

Racing back from a meeting in Devon to pick up my new toy from the office in Uxbridge on Friday, I found myself in exactly this situation. To top it all off I knew that the sun is going to be well below the horizon by the time I got back from the restaurant. When I finally made it home I had no time to even open the two parcels before being ushered out the door.

So the "first light" would have to wait.

Saturday morning came and I opened the two packages. The case for the PST is a reasonably well constructed box covered in black vinyl. Coronado have designed the packing for the PST to fit within the case after removing a small section from the right hand side and the top of the foam. It is quite a snug fit. This also helps to make the case more ridged.

I have read in other reviews that the PST is quite difficult to remove from the foam packaging. I also found this to be true. Some small trimming of the foam in key areas solved this.

Good mounting, (as commented all over this forum) is crucial. I started off using a basic photographic tripod but this proved to be too unstable. The image just bounced around like a big orange tennis ball with no detail.

So... bring out the EQ6.

Blimey... What a difference. Focus is achieved by turning the small knob on the underside of the body of the PST. This felt quite natural and not at all uncomfortable.

Only minor adjustment is needed to gain good focus.

Once the edge of the orange disc was nice and sharp I began, as instructed to slowly turn the tuning ring at the base of the OTA. The tone of the disc changed and suddenly along the edge of the sun I begin to see detail of emissions projecting themselves beyond the limb of the sun. I had seen my first Prominence.

As my eyes began to adjust, more detail emerged from the limb. It was just as I had imagined and seen in pictures. Awesome. :shock:

I then tried some of my Meade 4000 EP's allowing me examine the prominences in slightly more detail. I could begin to make out the shapes, jets of emission swirling from the edge of the sun. Fantastic!

After examining for some time I counted no less than 6 different prominences around the edge of the disc. I could not believe what I was seeing.

I have always wanted to try my hand at some photography, particularly after seeing some of the images produced by members of this forum. I could not resist the temptation. I have yet to purchase the T ring etc for the DSLR, so grabbed the little point and shoot Sony dsc-p8 and had a go A focal style. Please forgive the quality of the image you are about to see, totally out of focus but you get the general idea of what it is. I took 5-6 snaps then uploaded the results. This was the best.

1268_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Viewing the sun through the PST is one of the most rewarding viewing experiences I have had so far. The details are constantly changing. It is now possible to view the heavens 24hrs a day (weather permitting)

The PST has totally changed the way I think about the sun. I can strongly recommend it. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Thanks again to Steve @ FLO for the great service.

Excellent report - thanks for that.

I would love one of these and have hankered after one for some time but just can't quite justify the cost for a one subject instrument - BUT what a subject!

I think you will be in for some real treats in the future and I for one look forward to hearing and seeing your results. I understand that there are focus issues when using a DSLR with this instrument but that these can be alleviated with the use of a Barlow lens. I hope you have much pleasure from it.

Chris, crazy as it may sound but December 21st, winter solstice, shortest day of the year. I'm thinking not quite the best time to buy a PST. Then again, I was buying astro gear through late June/early July.....

Tony..

I wonder.....

If I drastically upped my housework rate, if the Mrs could be persuaded to buy me an extra special Christmas present.....

:D

Chris

Least you could guarantee her that you wouldn't be out till all hours of the night using it... :wink:

Chris, crazy as it may sound but December 21st, winter solstice, shortest day of the year. I'm thinking not quite the best time to buy a PST. Then again, I was buying astro gear through late June/early July.....

Tony..

Bu tlook on the bright side.......The days get longer from then :wink:

That is a truly scary statistic Ian! Madness.....

Sorry back on topic. Lee, congrats on your first light. Is there anyone who is disappointed when they've bought a PST? I'm going to have to have a go of one at some point...

Tony..

Lee

good report and I'm sure you be very happy with the scope, I am, the more you look the more you see.

I was at Herstmonceaux on Saturday looking through the TH pst. A chap came along and we got talking, he was so impressed with what he saw he went and bought one. The thing is, it wasn't a very good view really, some thin cloud cover which robs all the details. He's going to be so happy when he gets a really clear sky. Should have asked for commission.

Dave

That is a truly scary statistic Ian! Madness.....

Sorry back on topic. Lee, congrats on your first light. Is there anyone who is disappointed when they've bought a PST? I'm going to have to have a go of one at some point...

Tony..

You can have go on mine Tony if the sun shines in Kelling :sunny:

"The more you look, the more you see" is exactly right. The etalon adjustment will need to be adjusted between observing features at the limb and features upon the disk. One thing to try, follow a prominence onto the disk, where it may appear as a filament, or darker ribbon. Also, when viewing the disk, adjust the etalon to reveal as much granularity as possible. Let your eyes adapt, then look for filaments across the disk. Keep a mental note where the etalon knob is for each feature, and where, so you can get the "feel" for observing different features.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think this is an excellent time to begin observing with a PST. Since the Sun is quiet, you'll learn to see what's there, picking out more detail from an otherwise bland Sun. As activity ramps up over the next few years, you'll be ready for it. If you begin at solar max, it's easy to be overwhelmed and miss details. Look carefully for the very subtle details on the disk, such as active regions that have not yet developed sunspots. There's a wealth of detail there.

Do feel free to ask questions about what you see, or even, what you don't see. Along with other experienced observers, I'm more than happy to help. ;)

Congratulations! Nice report!

Lee,

You'll find that spending at least 5 - 10 mins at a time at the eyepiece will reap rewards.. Your eyes will become adapted and you'll spot a wealth of detail..It can be tiering so take regular breaks and put a towel of a sheet over you head, it stops the glare and also stops a sunburnt forehead.. ;)

A quick glance won't do the PST justice and use a quality eyepiece i've found a 14mm and 20mm are the best.

It's a fantastic piece of kit..

HTH

Greg

Great first light report , i would highly recommend the AE pst solar shade , as it blocks enough light to make observing more comfortable without having to put something over your head it also makes a great EP caddy , make no mistake HA viewing is the most addictive form of observing there is and i have heard this many times , you just can,t get enough , but the trouble is that its so expensive to get really good views , enjoy :sunny:

Brian

Archived