NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ced214 reprocess - What do you think?

swag72

Thanks to a lot of time and emails from a fantastic imager on here, he helped me to (probably) change the way I will process data from now on. My previous Ced214 image (http://stargazerslou...-in-narrowband/) I found too 'blocky' and noisy. This one now I think is much better. There are still issues, the background ran away with me and I found it hard to rein back in and haven't really quite managed it. I've decided that I like the magenta stars from narrowband as well, adds a little more umph!

So I really welcome your thoughts on this one - Do you think it's better? Or have I just wasted about 15 hours in trying to get to this stage?!! - Yes you read right, this has taken me about 15 hours to process!!!! I had many starts!!!

post-5681-0-50005000-1345542132_thumb.jp

How come the new image is mirror reversed from the previous?

I must say though I like the new one, I think that was time well spent. I agree that the magenta stars does add something extra to the image, makes it more artistic perhaps. That being said, it would be nice to see with white stars as well.

Not a waste time; your nebula is richer in details and contrast; I would retain the stars from previous image though but with false color you can probaly afford anything.

I wish I could do the same for my RGB;)

Mark

Sara, it is certainly a smoother image, and retains the detail very nicely. Personally I don't like the purple halo around the big stars though - looks like an artefact. Can you tell us what the main differences were in the way you procesed this compared to the first version?

Thanks Martin - The main difference in the processing was using the Ha as a luminance layer. I've never used a luminance layer before and I found I was able to get the colours using curves and colour selection tool, using noise reduction I then created a base layer that frankly looked AWFUL!! Put the Ha on top as a luminance layer and hey presto!!

I'm probably not telling you anything new, but I've never used a luminance layer before and it was amazing!! I'm easily pleased!! Now I have this in a place I am reasonably happy with, I may do the RGB star layer.

Sara, I love this version. I know what you mean about the colour becoming to blocky and not giving the smooth whispy effect that we expect the gaseous clouds to have!

I think the way you have processed this one really shows off the 15 hours spent! and time well spent methinks :D

Thanks for sharing! :D

Matt.

Going back to the original question..... I think it's lovely. Well done.

Just to pass on some information - I was reading an article by Richard Crisp some time ago and he discussed Lum layers over narrowband. His conclusion was to use all bands in the Lum layer or you can get effects where, in this case O111 and S11, aren't enhanced properly. May be give it a try ? Make the Lum from all three bands ?

If you don't fancy then that's ok :)

Dave.

Hi Sara,

Here's my theory. Ha has been used by most, including me, because it's so much sharper and brighter than the others. Sound reasonable ?

In RGB we use a Lum layer that includes all the channels. The Lum filter is normally formulated by the manufacturer to follow the lines of the R G and B.

Narrowband Lum means doing more or less what a genuine Lum would do. Use all layers.

I imagine on many images this would calm down the Ha. I think it's down to personal taste but at least you know to try.

Dave.

Archived