Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200P Flex tube

Ganymede12

I have my sights set on a Skyliner 200P Dobsonian and It would really be nice If I could get the Flex Tube version.

Sadly - the only Flex Tube 200P is Goto. This is really expensive so I just want a plain, simple, Skyliner 200P Flex tube dobsonian without Goto.

Shame they don't sell them in the UK.

So Is it possible to but a Skyliner 200P Flex Tube dobsonian without Goto from another country? If so, Is it worth it? How much more would It cost me?

I have both 16in and 12in version, both great scopes.

If you can afford why not got for the 10in push to ver? I have my 12in on casters and its so easy to store in shed and roll out for a nights viewing.

Also one fit person can carry it in two parts when going to a dark site.

theres an ota flextube[8"] on astroboot http://www.scopesnsk...m/AstroBoot the moment for £175 [needs a sight ,but includes focuser and mirrors] if you are any good at diy you could knock a dob base out for about £30-40 [doesnt need to look great] and have seen posts on the forum about how to make them so for 230 you would have a nice push dob [i have the 200 flextube goto and to be honest wouldn't exchange it [unless it was a bigger one ] i found that one on http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/ they come up quite regular

That 8" flextube would make a straightforward project for someone who is happy with doing the joinery to make the base. If it were a little cheaper I'd be tempted to buy it myself, make the base and sell it on.

James

I thought of TS, but they don't have it either. It might be worth calling FLO and seeing if they can get one as a special order, perhaps. I'd expect it could cost £80 to £100 more than the solid tube version though.

If you're really not sure that the solid tube version will fit in the car, then make a dummy one out of cardboard or newspaper or old wallpaper or something and give it a try.

In fact, I dare you to make a dummy 200P out of cardboard and post a photo of it in the DIY section :)

James

think you can but theyre about 400 quid plus shipping and they will be old stock if they have any [there was a german company selling them a few months ago ] you could get a local joiner to make you a base don't think it is rocket science looking at mine [ it depends on your budget and i dont think theres much diffence in weight ] i had a 200p and it fit in my bmw 320 no prob [ota on back seat and the base went on the passenger seat] the 200 is 1.2 metres long so would fit in most cars

it didnt fit in mine [the beemer boot is a bit tight ] a primera boot may be bigger /wider to let the base in without hitting the roof of the open boot the 200 flextube is only about .4m smaller [so about 0.8 metres instead of the 1.2 but it can stand up in my car on the back seat and be strapped in there seems to be an active welsh group on here maybe you could meet up if any of them have a scope [i can measure up the dob base if you want [

A problem there - I have to fit my dad in the car too. I am a long way from driving and my dad takes me where I need to go. Your idea sounds great but only for 1 person.

Would the mount fit in the boot?

If you have a tape measure, see if the boot is about 1.25m - 1.3m wide, which should fit the OTA. The base will be fairly big, but could probably go on a spare seat or down the back of the front seat. I'd say you need a little bit more than 1.2m so you can get it out easily. Failing that, it may be possible to have it diagonally, as long as it was supported and cushioned so it wouldn't fall or go out of collimation.

After doing some measuring and sending PM's to FLO It turns out that the mount will fit into the boot of my car leaving the rear seats free for the OTA and the front two seats for me and my dad.

My mind is at rest - now I need money!

After doing some measuring and sending PM's to FLO It turns out that the mount will fit into the boot of my car leaving the rear seats free for the OTA and the front two seats for me and my dad.

told you it would fit

Is that the Flex OTA or the solid OTA?

Naemeth, I was talking about the solid tube. I already knew that a flextube would fit in easily wit room to spare.

crashtestdummy, that is one big boot! My boot isn't that big! :eek:

I was just checking, thanks :angel:.

It's just as well it fits, it will save quite a lot of money (that could go on eyepieces :D)

Archived