Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bitten by the Apperture Bug

Hello all,

Ive currently got a SW200p on EQ5. however, after browsing (which i really shouldnt do) i noticed a 12" dob f/1500 para, for just over £300. Im not sure how much these are new as the solid tube seems to of been discontinued.

Would the extra mirror space make alot of difference to what i see now with the 200P, i also mainly do visual, so i kind of wish i got a dob to start with but too late to worry about that. My budget is comfortable so i could either sell the 200, or keep it to compliment the dob for when i get into the photography side.

just wondered what peoples thoughts are.

thanks,

I'd definitely have a look at one first. They're not exactly light nor small. You're probably looking at over 40kg all-in, and a total height when on the base of getting on for six feet.

James

Aperture fever! Been there, got the T shirt.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to buy the 2nd scope without selling the first, think about doing just that.

You can listen to advice here and elsewhere on 12" vs 8" and the rest till you get fed up.

But the decision is yours.

In my opinion you can't beat getting 2 scopes side by side. Same target, same night, swap eyepieces between scopes.

See how easy you get on with aligning the 'small scope' EQ assembly vs 'put down and look' with the dob.

After a while, you will come to a decision.

It may be the 8" is great for the garden and I want the 12" for a dark site.

It may be 'I hate' or 'I prefer' dob mounts.

It may be 12" offers little extra for the inconvenience.

The important thing is that you have done some trials, allowing you to make an informed decision.

I did something similar 2/3 years back when I had 8" and 10" reflectors - long story. Both had different 'extras' or 'features' and reasons for keeping/selling.

At the end of the night, there was little difference in the view so I sold the 10" keeping the smaller more convenient 8".

You may well come to a different decision, but still the right one for you.

If you want to re-sell a scope that you have bought used, you probably won't lose much money.

You may also have the option of passing on, swapping between tubes, or keeping as extra, the eyepieces, finder, etc.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

I've got a SW200P and got aperture fever and now have a 12" Lightbridge.... I do know what you're going through as I pay for my lightbridge in a few days....They're different animals. I think that if you live in a light polluted area and can't be bothered to go out to a dark sky site, it's not worth buying a 12" dob.

That said...It's the biggest dob that I can comfortably lift. There's no electronics and so it's a 'point and shoot'. I actually do enjoy just lifting the thing out onto the patio and starting observing....

The 8" is easier, though. It's soooo difficult to say......

My aperture fever is now cured but my back ache has begun going from a 150p on EQ3-2 to a 250pds on NEQ6, So glad I didnt convince myself that I wanted a 300pds I kept telling myself it sonly £100 extra for all that extra light gathering. sense took over and Im happy with the 250.

Kev.

Aperture fever hits hard when it hits. The cure for it is knowing your budget and limitations regarding portability.

I started out with a 90mm refractor on an EQ mount. Brilliant scope but for me in a wheelchair the EQ mount was a pain in the backside because of weight and dimentions etc.

I then progressed up to a Heritage 130P. Love this scope...............no complaints really.

I am now using a Celestron 8SE and its PERFECT. Nice aperture,lightweight and pretty portable for me. Cost a pretty penny but that doesn't matter. I'm glad to say i could afford it (just shy of 2K).

I think the difference between a 200mm and a 300mm would be very big....................and worth it, but 200mm is nothing to scoff at.

Apeture fever gets us all at some time or other I have recently changed from a 150 to a 200 and I don't regret it, although I still have the 150, it's still portable enough for me to manage to carry out of the shed and set up, i think anything bigger would be best permanatly mounted in a observertory. but thats my humble opinion.

Hehe well.. for imaging aperature = image resolution.. that results in mount accuracy fever.. that results in better location fever due to the seeing then results finally in fever to justify better optics, mount, camera to make use of the location..

Archived