EQ5 Mount - Is this normal?

Ok, since I'm new here I thought I would try to get some nagging questions answered which have recently accumulated.

I've owned a Skywatcher 200P on the EQ5 mount for some years now, and have started noticing a few issues with the mount which are worrying. It's actually the second EQ5 mounting the same scope, as I fell victim to the problem with the cheap altitude adjustment bolts becoming warped, and getting jammed into the mount head. So the 'new 'mount (18 months old) is fitted with the far superior steel bolts, which I can never remember where I bought them from.....

There now seems to be an issue with the RA axis lock, in that it doesn't lock as effectively as it used to. When the mount is fully loaded with scope and counter-weights etc. I can position it at some weird angle (which often happens), and then lock down both axis which holds the scope steady. The problem is that even in the locked state, the RA axis can still be moved relatively easy with a trivial amount of force. I can grab the counter-weight rail and move it quite freely with one hand through RA, and the DEC axis is solid as a rock! I always take care to balance the scope before each session, so I'm relatively sure that it can't be something that's worn away with improper use. I know that the EQ5/200P combination is quite popular so has anyone else noticed this at all? And will it develop into a more serious matter down the line?

I don't have an answer but only to say my EQ3 is the same. It appears the RA lock only just bites and the mount can easily be moved in the locked position. I've meant for ages to do a google search to sort the problem but never got round to it. There could be an answer to the EQ5 on the Astronomy Boy website though:

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

It is a while since I had an EQ5 in pieces so again, I can't give details.

I don't ever remember suffering a weak clutch/lock.

There are minor differences between makes/vintages, but nothing of great importance.

Why not take the opportunity of the current light cloudy nights to take a peek?

There isn't anything in there that needs special tools or great skill to put back together.

A good precaution is to take lots of photos as you take things apart.

Where did that long screw come from? Which way up is this bracket? You know the sort of questions.

But perhaps someone will come along with something specific for you to look at.

David.

A simple answer would be to lock the axis, unscrew the locking knob, lift it off and turn it slightly towards the loose direction then put it back on and see if it can be tightend any further.

I dont have the eq5 but after stripping my heq5, I had to have a wee bit of a play when putiing the knob back on so it would tighten and loosen properly.

Hope that helps.

It sometimes happens if the tube is not balanced. The locks are not precision items so some tolerance is to be expected. I would not try to overtighten as mounts these days seem to be made of a soft alloy metal.

I once had a Losmandy GM8 that would swing on its own if grossly out of balance. Apparantly it was designed like that.

Ive got 200p on EQ5 and mine is the same, when both DEC and RA locked, it stays, it doesnt move under its own weight, but i can move it while locked fairly easily without much effort. I have wondered the same, could it be as the scope is not perfectly balanced? I dont know about anyone else, but i find im forever spinning the scope round so get the EP back to a comfortable angle, which then unbalances it, which i am too lazy to fix

On every scope that I've ever owned the scope can be moved fairly easily with both axis locked. Don't get me wrong it's unlikely that you'd do it by accident, but if you wanted to you could.

The bigger / longer the scope the less force you need to move the scope. The 200P is IMO right at the very top of the scopes that I would put on a EQ5.

If the scope is out of balance then it will be easier (in one direction) to move against the axis locking mechanism...

HTH

Ant

as mentioned above, i took the screw out of the lock, lifted it off and rotated it slightly and replaced the screw. just don't rotate too far or it will be slightly locked when it should be loose. hth

Scott.

as mentioned above, i took the screw out of the lock, lifted it off and rotated it slightly and replaced the screw. just don't rotate too far or it will be slightly locked when it should be loose. hth

Scott.

I have had it in pieces a couple of times now, for different reasons. I'll definitely be trying this suggestion now, thanks! :laugh:

Archived