Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great Atlas Of the Sky - Megasale !

L8-Nite

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one not seeing the attraction here?

Even at £60 odd quid it seems a lot for what is essentially a fancy ring binder and free printouts of stars which you need around 6" aperture to resolve.

The worlds largest atlas of the entire sky is going out of print :eek: and there will be no future reissues!

I think they mean the Jubilee edition will not be re-issued.

post-18598-0-94344200-1345075307_thumb.j

Am I the only one not seeing the attraction here?

I just prefer printed books and material, rather than digital media and computer copies.

From the photo, I gather you have purchased the Atlas and are not impressed, am I correct ?

I just prefer printed books and material, rather than digital media and computer copies.

From the photo, I gather you have purchased the Atlas and are not impressed, am I correct ?

I completely agree on the beauty of the printed word. I am a massive book reader and like the feel and experience of a book in its physical form (as opposed to digitally delivered media like Kindles etc...)

The point I am trying to make is this atlas seems to have been deliberately overpriced to make the current saving seem almost too good to be true. All the material contained within the atlas is available in the public domain and in my humble opinion a decent profit is still being made at this "bargain" price.

As I said this is all imho as I do not own the atlas. I am sure most if not all purchasers will be happy with the atlas.

Guess i'm showing my age, but I find myself "computer challenged" most of the time. For me, finding information can be very tedious and time consuming. When I was young, I had a lot of time on my hands, and little money. Now, I have a little money, but I just don't have the time; so I feel this purchase will be the equivalent of swings and round-a-bouts for me.

I downloaded and printed out the A3 panoramic charts (Tri Atlas) referred to in that link and laminated them with a matt finish pouch to keep them dry when out observing, not as nice looking as the book above mind you but no one notices in the dark!! :)

With laminated sheets you can scribble notes on them with a felt-tip pen and wipe them clean afterwards!

While searching for books at charity shops, i've often noticed large zippered notebook binders. I picked one up last year for next to nothing, which had a dozen 11" x 17" plastic sleeves in it; perfect for storing charts.

What about some feedback?

Did it live up to expectations?

Yes, I like it !

The plotting grid is a great aid for locating coordinates on the 17" x 24" charts.

I work it out to cost less than 22 pence a chart, a bargin indeed.

Here is a photo for scale, with two charts opened out on one of our three seater couches; with coffee cup.

Click on photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-46405500-1345764393_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

As a lover of books and atlases, I decided to order one to add to my collection.

I saw it online more than a year ago, but wasn't prepared to pay the advertised price.

Considering what you can get Sky Atlas 2000 for these days, I considered the sell-off price very reasonable.

Verdict? It's huge and beautifully printed.

I love it! Worth far more than what I paid for it.

I will get many hours of use from mine.

It also comes with a plastic folder to put a sheet in if you need to take one outside.

Dave

I reviewed it here a while back when I first got it - tried a search and can't find the thread. Summary: worth every penny if you're trying to see anything in the NGC using a 12" or larger. Even better if you can now get it cheaper. Not good if you're looking for non-galaxy non-NGC objects (e.g. Palomar globs or obscure planetaries) in which case JR TriAtlas is better. Both are great, neither is perfect, one is free. I use Great Atlas every time I observe and haven't needed to use JR (or anything else) since I got GA. I love the big glossy charts, but hate the small type. I use a magnifying glass.

Might get a spare if there are still any left - a couple of sheets have got a bit field-worn.

I just ordered that second copy. In the field I find the binder an inconvenience, so all the sheets down to my horizon are kept loose in their packing box, then I can pull them out easily. I use a heavy duty music stand and a large clip-frame to hold individual sheets during use.

I missed out on Millennium Star Atlas when it was in print so I made darned sure I didn't miss out on this one.

Archived