Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

weather on our side????

scoobee

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the weather clears for the weekend, i might try to get my telescope out again (would have to read instruction manaul again due to me forgetting how to use said instrument :grin: ). Would be nice to carry on with my Herschel 400 observing list, last looked at in early May, lots to catch up with!

Peter

You don't see that view of Rame Head too often (unless you're Mike of course).

I've seen quite enough of that view the last two weeks, in fact I'm really looking forward to not seeing it! :)

It should look pretty good tonight with the Milky Way stretched over it though.

Just been ashore and got myself an XL steak pasty for my tea so should get up there for 10 after all Luke.

Here's hoping. The sky I can see from my office window is as blue as a blue thing. At least until it gets towards Wales, anyhow. No idea about further south. I have the door shut to keep the kids out and to cut down the noise for the next two months or however long it is until they go back to school.

James

Richard looking very good at the mo wished i had a bigger scope but at the mo wanting loads of kit like solar filters and a star tracker defo wanna get the star tracker for the SW star party better start to crack on and save!!!!!!

Well, what a fantastic nights viewing. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Met up with Mike at the site he found (pic in post #15) around 10pm to be greeted by a totally clear sky, a 360 degree field of view and Mike grinning like a cheshire cat. Quickly set the scope up, which involved lifting everything out of the car and placing it straight on the ground. No walking great distances with heavy gear at all.

When the skies darkened, the view of the Milky Way was awesome, totally awesome. The best I've seen this year, from about 20 degrees up in the North to the horizon in the South. It was breathtaking. I think I spent more time viewing with the naked eye than I did with my scope or my binos.

I'll definitely be going there again.

Mike, many many thanks for the great company and the fantastic site.

Luke

When the skies darkened, the view of the Milky Way was awesome, totally awesome. The best I've seen this year, from about 20 degrees up in the North to the horizon in the South. It was breathtaking. I think I spent more time viewing with the naked eye than I did with my scope or my binos.

It is stunning, isn't it? I spent ages at the end of my evening just mooching around it with the 10x50s. It feels like you could just fall in...

James

Luke I feel absolutely cream crackered at the moment, next doors kids decided to have a full scale riot at 8am so only had a few hours sleep but what a night!!!!

The Milky way really was the highlight of my night, its funny how we lug all our equipment in to a dark field and then just stand there for the best part of the night looking up going 'WOW' just using the old mk1 eyeballs.

Was very impressed with your knowledge of the skies aswell, pointing out the Lagoon nebula (I think thats what you said it was?) and seeing it with the naked eye was unreal!

Great company and clear skies meant I had the best nights astronomy I've had in a long time. :)

It is stunning, isn't it? I spent ages at the end of my evening just mooching around it with the 10x50s. It feels like you could just fall in...

James

Thats exactly how we finished the night. Did you stay up long enough to see M45, Jupiter and Venus?

I didn't. I called it a night at 2am. Having young children isn't really conducive to staying up until dawn is creeping over the horizon :) As it was, I was woken up at 8:45am by some contemptible oik from a web design company who wanted to know if I was interested in selling my company's domain name. He certainly picked the wrong time to call :)

The forecast for next week looks pretty good though, and my wife is taking the children camping in Cornwall for the week so I may well give it a go then. Definitely want to see if I can find Uranus and Neptune again, this week, too.

James

Archived