NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Huge mosaic - perhaps

martin_h

Having noticed that the veil is close to the Crescent - well close on the computer screen :tongue: I had an idea !!!

Anyway all I need to do now is to reshoot it all again and fill in the gaps - easy!!!

I imaged 6 LUM frames just to get some stars to register to see if it was possible. After endless re-boots of the computer for memory problems and loads of resizing of the growing image - Photoshop refused to play when the canvas got to over 1 meter square !!!

I came up with this refrence frame..............

veiltocrescent_web.jpg

wow. seriously, that's nuts. but amazing. when i posted in your thread with the original mosaic about doing the whole sky i was joking. but doing all the way to the veil would be incredible. then get it printed billboard size and stick it on the side of your house or something. keep us posted on how it goes.

What are the specs of your computer?

I am ruuning Win 7 64 Bit with an I7 2600K quad core

with 16 Gbyte of DDR3 RAM & haven't had any problems with Photoshop.

Win 7 64 Bit with Intel Core 2 Duo - 2x 3Ghz with 8 Gb RAM

Amazing image, cool project. How big will the full mosaic be in terms of pixel size? I am always on the lookout for big, and I mean really big images to test our processing methods (3.9 Gpixel biggest so far).

I have added another 3 panels to the original Butterfly/Crescent/Tulip image and it stands - uncropped - at 177.16 M pix

Brilliant...

You want one of those cameras they've got at the ESO.

256Mega pixel.. http://web.pd.astro....IE/paper_hn.pdf

That would bring the imaging time down a bit.

Won't help much with the processing though

That is a cool beast of a camera. We should be getting some images from them later on to process. They seemed almost flustered that I was not worried about that image size. Given that we do multi-scale analysis of 876 Mpixel images in 15.5 s I do not think we need be flustered by a mere 256MB (about 5 s :D)

That is a cool beast of a camera. We should be getting some images from them later on to process. They seemed almost flustered that I was not worried about that image size. Given that we do multi-scale analysis of 876 Mpixel images in 15.5 s I do not think we need be flustered by a mere 256MB (about 5 s :D)

The thing that scared me wasn't the mega-pixies, it was the shutter size.. they'd sat a laptop on it in the image, as big as the table I'm working at!, imagine the field flattener you'd need!

Derek

Awesome project Martin..! Do you have an estimate on how many panes it will end up being... and how long it will take to capture them...?

It stands at 18 panels so far, to get to the Veil and make a rectangular image from it will need another 36 panels (I think).

"How long will it take to capture them/"...If the weather doesnt improve, I could be doing it this time next year !

What are the specs of your computer?

I am ruuning Win 7 64 Bit with an I7 2600K quad core

with 16 Gbyte of DDR3 RAM & haven't had any problems with Photoshop.

Win 7 64 Bit with Intel Core 2 Duo - 2x 3Ghz with 8 Gb RAM

A more powerful computer might help you.

I can't say as I haven't worked with images as large as yours.

Archived