Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your top summer triangle objects?

Mike73

I've read and heard so much about some of the amazing objects around the summer triangle but due to weather and the light evenings I haven't managed to have a good look around it myself, all those rich star fields and nebulae....ahhhh I can't wait!!! :eek::grin:

So whats your favourite objects around that area? Doesn't have to be inside the triangle just in that general area.

Just from what I've read in books my top 3 are.....

M24 - Really looking forward to viewing this area at low power.

M20 - Trifid nebula.

NGC 7023 - Iris nebula.

Any other recommendations anyone?

Perhaps "Your favourite summer objects" would have been a better title for the thread Mike :D

I love the diffuse nebulae around Sagittarius like M17, M8, M20, M16

I also enjoy the Veil and North American nebulae in Cygnus.

The Globular clusters in Ophiuchus and Sagittarius are all worth a look too, and as you said, no Summerr would be complete without a trip around M24. This object is an absolute dream.

Yes, expanding it to Summer objects there is a lot more to choose from.

I love M8 / M20 (Lagoon and Triffid nebulae) in Sagittarius although it is some years since I have seen them.

NGC 6826, the Blinking Planetary nebula in Cygnus.

M57, the Ring nebula in Lyra is great.

M13 and M92 are nice globular clusters in Hercules, which also has a bright planetary nebula - NGC 6210.

M39 in Cygnus is probably the nicest open cluster.

I look forward to trying to find some of the globular clusters in Sagittarius, if we ever get a break in the clouds. I haven't even seen M22 to date, let alone the more difficult ones. Some of them will be beyond my sky limit, being so low down but hopefully I might also catch M28.

Happy hunting!

M27 of course. Is it the apparently largest planetary nebula around? It's got to be close.

The ever-popular Coathanger Cluster.

Not a DSO as such, but Sagitta is very nicely framed in binoculars. I've never spotted M71 but I think it ought to be possible with binoculars in a dark sky.

NGC 6826 The blinking nebula in Cygnus is one of my favourites. It can be a little tricky sometimes but once you see this tiny planetary neb - flashing in and out of view as you scan your eye from one side of your field of view to the other, it is very satisfying! You can't beat M13 and M57 too ;)

There's so many objects in the summer triangle that I haven't viewed yet because the summer skies have been so cloudy here for the last few years. I usually get to see a few of them in the autumn before they sink below the horizon. M57 and M27 are the obvious ones, but I spied out the Rocking Horse Cluster (NGC 6910) last autumn which was pretty cool and it actually does look like a rocking horse!

Does the Veil Nebula complex count? Definitely top of my list...

I hope so because it's top of my list as well :smiley:

Many other good sights mentioned in this thread as well but the Veil complex is simply wonderful for me. You do need either a UHC or an O-III filter to do it justice of course although I have spotted the brightest portion with 15x70 binoculars.

Archived