NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maplin large flight case

Geoffteeth

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I have is certainly worth £20. I intend to put my DSLR and lenses in it. I'm quite tempted to get another this time around to put my filters, CCD and so on in.

James

Well i ordered two of these cases late yesterday afternoon and was pleased to see that they had been dispatched soon after and delivery was for today.So waiting in for em to arrive today,which they just have and found this inside :shocked::huh:

There was no damage at all on the box carrying em both in so it must have been done before they were packed so why pack it??

So i got straight onto Maplins customer service and they are sending me a replacement out straight away,no questions asked.

So i will try and use the foam out the damaged case in summat else.

post-23363-0-57978600-1342085350_thumb.j

post-23363-0-38990200-1342085391_thumb.j

post-23363-0-42602300-1342085434_thumb.j

It does indeed James make you wonder.

This is how it looked in its own box and i knew as soon as i saw it that it would be damaged and that was without handling it,but was surprised by how much damage there was,even shocked :shocked:

Still i must say that i am very pleased with the other one though :smiley:

post-23363-0-88488200-1342088382_thumb.j

You really do wonder about some people, don't you? How many people can have handled that, seen the damage and thought "Well, not my problem".

James

Let alone Mr Feargal Sharkey looking for a good heart, good staff is probably harder LOL

Makes one a bit wary of using them as actual flight cases..

Fantastic for holding stuff together on one place or for supporting a fall from a hand held position. It looks as though it would not meet the requirements for checked baggage though.

I have this case as well, and I've all of my eyepieces and diagonals and filters in it. It's great for this. It was a bit of a pain getting the foam right but that's now sorted.

Are these cases any good,and what would you use em for,just EPs ??

I have all my bits and pieces (filters, leads, handset, guide camera ets) in one and the other takes my CG 5GT mount (just !!)

They are a great piece of kit - get one whilst they are cheap. I was looking last week and they were over £30.

Makes one a bit wary of using them as actual flight cases..

Fantastic for holding stuff together on one place or for supporting a fall from a hand held position. It looks as though it would not meet the requirements for checked baggage though.

I'd agree. It's not strong enough to withstand the gentle ministrations of your average Heathrow baggage handler, but they're great for everyday storage and for carrying kit in the car.

James

I use Maplins quite a bit for various bits of astro kit...

These are dead good storage cases... and good value... but flight cases they ain't. A good flight case will with stand all sorts of baggage handling misdemeanors... these are basically pretty thin wood.

But like I say, still great value!

Well i had a go at repairing that damaged case and this is how it ended up.

I cut a new piece of Hardboard for the broken base,yes all the sides top and bottom are Hardboard covered in the Ali foil.

Took the four feet off along with the ali foil and the thin foam on the inside to glue back in after.

Straightened the ali extrusion out the best i could and reassembled it all.

I put some strong cloth tape round all the edges as a couple of the plastic corners were split,so added the tape to cover the sharp edges,plus it makes it stronger.

So it is at least useable now :shocked:

post-23363-0-45775400-1342464848_thumb.j post-23363-0-46260700-1342464897_thumb.j

Archived