Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ES 30mm 82degree field

Antscope

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am of the believe that this is the same glass as the Meade 5000 UWA, it is all part of the same company. If this is the case then many very nice thing have been said about this eyepiece. I have a 30mm Meade but it is in England and I am in Bulgaria, why is a long story. I am sure that you will up to your eyes in replies as eyepieces seem to be a hot top.

If you buy one I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Alan.

I have the ES11 and am very pleased with it.
me too, the 11mmES82 is my current favourite EP.

I tell you what, you buy the 30mm, try it and if you don't like it I'll give you a tenner for it ;-)

me too, the 11mmES82 is my current favourite EP.

I tell you what, you buy the 30mm, try it and if you don't like it I'll give you a tenner for it ;-)

Well that sounds like a great deal! though the postage from canada to the u.k will cost a tad more than a tenner! :tongue:

I am of the believe that this is the same glass as the Meade 5000 UWA, it is all part of the same company. If this is the case then many very nice thing have been said about this eyepiece. I have a 30mm Meade but it is in England and I am in Bulgaria, why is a long story. I am sure that you will up to your eyes in replies as eyepieces seem to be a hot top.

If you buy one I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Alan.

Seems if the performance is close to the 31 nagler might be worth a shot, of course the other issue is would this be too low a power for my scope? my eyepiece kungfu is weak at the moment..

I have the older version (chunkier) 30mm ES and its lovely and clear even at F5. Its a fine EP, its like looking into a big hole into space, lovely. It is heavy, but so are nearly all the UWA 30mm EPs, I suppose. Its a good price too.

Bart

What scope do you have, I have a fair cross section of telescopes from F10 down to F 5.3 and I don't expect any problems on any of them, Canada, sadly one place I have not been.

Alan.

Hi Alan, I have a Tak tsa 102 F8, yeah its pretty fandabbydosie here. :smiley: Where I am I dont have to go far to find mag 8 sky, plus the club I belong to here has a great little dark site.

I have the older version (chunkier) 30mm ES and its lovely and clear even at F5. Its a fine EP, its like looking into a big hole into space, lovely. It is heavy, but so are nearly all the UWA 30mm EPs, I suppose. Its a good price too.

Bart

The faster focal ratio of scope would test an eyepiece's metal right?

The faster focal ratio of scope would test an eyepiece's metal right?

Correct - F/5 and faster scopes are pretty demanding on widefield eyepieces.

Most eyepieces do pretty well in the central part of the field of view though - it's the outer 30% or so where the issues, if there are any, are seen.

Correct - F/5 and faster scopes are pretty demanding on widefield eyepieces.

Most eyepieces do pretty well in the central part of the field of view though - it's the outer 30% or so where the issues, if there are any, are seen.

so I did some reading and this ep isnt going to be optimal in terms of exit pupil 3.5 I believe, if I went with the 68degree field ep they offer in a 40mm focal length it would push the exit pupil up to almost 5mm..

any input would be most welcome, cheers Antony

With an F/8 scope a 40mm 70 degree eyepiece is quite feasible as is the 5mm exit pupil produced but the 30mm 82 degree EP will show a darker background sky (due to the higher magnification) and will show nearly as much sky. Personally I'd go for the 30mm / 80 degree option.

Just a heads up, I see Christophers / Astronomics in the States are again selling some of the ES range at offer prices, including the 82°, if you are a member of the Cloudy Nights forum you will gain a further 5% reduction, which makes them in the 1.25" range, at the current exchange rate, something in the region of just over £61 each, if you have friends relatives or whatever who can acquire them for you, now is your chance, I have some and they are excellent including the 100°which is outstanding :)

John..

Just a heads up, I see Christophers / Astronomics in the States are again selling some of the ES range at offer prices, including the 82°, if you are a member of the Cloudy Nights forum you will gain a further 5% reduction, which makes them in the 1.25" range, at the current exchange rate, something in the region of just over £61 each, if you have friends relatives or whatever who can acquire them for you, now is your chance, I have some and they are excellent including the 100°which is outstanding :)

John..

*grins* yeah that was on my radar Chris, its a blumming good price!

I use the 30 mm ES with my f/4 and a Paracorr. It works really well. I once briefly did a comparison with a 31 mm Nagler. The most obvious difference was that the less recessed eye lens on the Nagler made the FOV more accessible. I didn't compare edge sharpness or anything like that.

I use the 24mm ES 82, we love it. We also have the 6.7, 11 and 14. All brought back from the States on the cheap.

I notice Telescope House are selling off the Meade 5000 UWA eyepieces at a knock down price. The Meade version of the 30mm is £30 cheaper than the ES.

We had to acquire them through a friend. OPT were happy to sell them to the UK. But by the time you factor in delivery, tax, import duty and handling charge its not much of a saving. OPT's delivery charges were not cheap. So £61 becomes £90 and then all taxes make it £120. Still £30 saved over UK price but more expensive than the knocked down Meade 5000 UWA.

We had to acquire them through a friend. OPT were happy to sell them to the UK. But by the time you factor in delivery, tax, import duty and handling charge its not much of a saving. OPT's delivery charges were not cheap. So £61 becomes £90 and then all taxes make it £120. Still £30 saved over UK price but more expensive than the knocked down Meade 5000 UWA.

That's the draw back,I am rather lucky in that close friends of ours both travel back and forth to the States every three months or so, my friends Wife is on exchange and working there for the next 2 years :)

John.

That's the draw back,I am rather lucky in that close friends of ours both travel back and forth to the States every three months or so, my friends Wife is on exchange and working there for the next 2 years :)

John.

Now thats a good situation to be in :)

The 24mm is not too oversized and not massively heavy. In my 120 F5 refractor i get a 3.25deg true field at 25x mag.Perfect for scanning the sky. I did consider the 30mm but decided the 24mm was perfect for my needs. Did't want anything too big and heavy.

The 24mm is not too oversized and not massively heavy. In my 120 F5 refractor i get a 3.25deg true field at 25x mag.Perfect for scanning the sky. I did consider the 30mm but decided the 24mm was perfect for my needs. Did't want anything too big and heavy.

Weight is not that much of an issue for me its just i'm concerned about going too low...its hard when you cant try before you buy :embarrassed: I may end up going with the 24mm or even a 68degree in 24mm, the exit pupil is big on those but then there's also sky brightening...aargghh

Archived