Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ES 30mm 82degree field

Antscope

Exit pupil will only be 3.8mm using the 30mm in your 102mm F8. Even, if like me, you are firmly in the middle aged category 3.8mm won't trouble at all. You get a 3deg true field with the 30mm, i think that's the one i would choose for your scope.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exit pupil will only be 3.8mm using the 30mm in your 102mm F8. Even, if like me, you are firmly in the middle aged category 3.8mm won't trouble at all. You get a 3deg true field with the 30mm, i think that's the one i would choose for your scope.

I keep thinking about what I could do with that with the UHC attached.... :grin:

But by the time you factor in delivery, tax, import duty and handling charge its not much of a saving. OPT's delivery charges were not cheap. So £61 becomes £90 and then all taxes make it £120.

We could group together and order 4 or 5 at once and share the expensive US to UK shipping... Then ship them domestically round the uk. They do it by weight so shipping cost does go up as you add EPs, but the first one is always the big hit, additional weight costs less.

I just checked. Shipping on one 24mm Es82 is about $75 with ups. For 5 it is about $135.

It would require a certain amount of trust and organisation, but the savings are there.

5 x 24mm ES82 would be $1135 plus import and vat so call that £730 ish so £146 plus vat each. Call VAT £30 each. Add £10 fudge factor to total £186 per EP and thats still saved over £80 over telescope house price, or about 30% if you prefer percentages. Not too shabby.

Air mail is a lot cheaper, at least for individual EPs
never use the USPS to ship to the uk. That goes to the royal mail who then charge you an extra £8 service charge to pay the import tax, and make you go pick it up at the post office so you can pay them. It ends up being more expensive than a premium carrier, and takes longer...

never use the USPS to ship to the uk. That goes to the royal mail who then charge you an extra £8 service charge to pay the import tax, and make you go pick it up at the post office so you can pay them. It ends up being more expensive than a premium carrier, and takes longer...

Splint I use the USPS all the time, takes about 4-5 days to get to Ireland, had no problem. I even bought a huge 30mm ES 82* and a 20mm ES 68* and the postage was <$40 fantastic

I'm sure the USPS are a fine institution, and I can't speak for the irish postal service. The problem in the UK is that the Royal Mail take over as it enters our shores, and charge £8 not to deliver it to you as an admin charge to pay the tax, even if the tax is only a couple of quid. I've been stung before and learned my lesson.

To be fiar, I did say "never use the USPS to ship to the UK"

I'm sure the USPS are a fine institution, and I can't speak for the irish postal service. The problem in the UK is that the Royal Mail take over as it enters our shores, and charge £8 not to deliver it to you as an admin charge to pay the tax, even if the tax is only a couple of quid. I've been stung before and learned my lesson.

To be fiar, I did say "never use the USPS to ship to the UK"

Ha, you did, to be fair. It just appeared to me that even allowing for your £8 for not delivering (?), it still probably beats the UPS delivery costs. In reality, I feel I dont have a choice as we have very few astro shops here in Ireland and things generally cost more here so buying from US makes a lot of sense. No offence meant.

Barry

It's good to hear different experiences :)

I've had everything in recent memory arrive 3-4 days after sending, and even when it's been afflicted by the "convenience" fee it's still a good chunk cheaper. At least with USPS/RM there's a _chance_ it might not attract vat/duty attention, in my experience Fedex/UPS always apply it >US$30 (as they are obliged to). One time UPS tried to charge me £15 convenience fee. Seems to be luck of the draw.

Archived