Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Japanese Kellners

barbusg60

As a beginner I've been buying a few cheap eyepieces to try before I settle on the ones I keep.

I really like my Circle T 12.5mm Orthoscopic and have just won an auction on Ebay for a couple of Japanese Kellners' in 25mm & 18mm.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea of what they will be like?

Hopefully better than the standard ones that came with my 130p which I have not bothered using.

I assume they wont be as good as the Ortho's but it would be interesting to know.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

I only want the 18mm and 25mm from the set and planned on selling the other two on when they arrive.

i don't have enough posts to advertise them but you could put a wanted ad up if you want the 40mm?

thanks for the replys,

Rob.

I don't think the Kellner design will work too well with a fast newtonian such as the 130P Flextube. Kellners are OK in slow refractors but not a patch on orthoscopics, in my view, despite coming from the same manufacturer. The Circle-T Kellners were some of the 1st eyepieces I had and seemed OK for a while until I tried a good plossl which seemed sharper and offered a larger field of view.

By all means try them though as they can be bought for very little.

Try a wanted advert in the UK Astro Buy & Sell website until you have enough posts to put one on the SGL classifieds.

I had a 25mm japan kellner NS of fullerscopes vintage - must have been in the box for 20 years!. I was surprised when i tried in with my 4" ED on the moon, it was 'lovely' every bit a match for a top notch plossl but with slightly less field. They transmit light very well being a simply design. I'm sure you will be satisfied.

andrew

I remember getting a Kellner from Dudley Fuller to go with my first scope a 3 inch refractor from Dixons, I thought it was the biggest telescope in the world. When I compaired it to what came with the scope it was like it had grown an extra inch.

They probable will not be as good as some of the truely wonderful EP's on the market today even though they are made in Japan. I don't think to much optical rubbish is made there.

Alan.

Archived