Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy + Fireflies

We had 4 families over Friday June 15, 2012 night for kids & parents euchre night till 10:15pm, when they left I set-up the gear.

Shortly after some clouds rolled in, I wish less planes, here's result:

394 images, 25 sec each, f3.5, 15mm @ ISO800. Stacked and some PP.

June%252015%25202012%2520stackedImage.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the heat wave the fireflies are going bonkers here!

Wed June 20, 2012 night, about 3 hrs worth during shortest night of the year.

I had to start imaging at 11pm, too light before that.

Many 25 sec exposures, 15-85 zoom lens at 15mm on crop T1i @ ISO800.

Stacked using StarStaX.

Raw output with all planes

stackedImage.jpg

28 frames with plane streaks removed, hence you see small gaps in all the star trails corresponding to those stars not being there during the stacking process.

A much more time intense method would be to PP each of the 28 frames and remove the plane streaks...that's lots of work .....but would give more pleasing/continuous star trail arcs

stackedImage-homelight%2520-%2520Version%25202.jpg

As bonus, there is a iridium satellite flare 1/2 way up and 1/3 way in from LH side, this individual 2 frame composite & crop shows it clearly.

There is a 1 second pause between frames, as can be seen in the image, those flares last very briefly, usually just 3-5 seconds total to the naked eye, camera sensor will show longer.

I've seen just 1 -7mag flare and it was so bright and stunning!

Heavens-above has info to plan and capture them for those interested.

6-20-2012%2520starttrail-flare%2520Mike%2520Rosinski.jpg

Post processing individual images prior to stacking is well worth doing IMHO. I've individually edited over 2000 raw images in one star trail composite which I considered acceptable given the result :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos

Post processing individual images prior to stacking is well worth doing IMHO. I've individually edited over 2000 raw images in one star trail composite which I considered acceptable given the result :)

Understood and agree what you say, for me with 3 young kids and work/life/hobby balance the "hack way" of just leaving out the 28 frames made the stacked image more pleasing than with the plane streaks.......

Have you considered a high iso long exposure of the fireflies against a dark background? I think that potentially they could produce an unusual image

Too much light pollution in my area, unless my kids captured some fireflies and put them in a jar inside a closet, but then that would take the astonomy portion out of it.

For the record, I've had lots of "bad attempts" at fireflies.

I've found it really needs to be dark to take them, doing in even dusk with 15-20 sec exposure the image looks near daytime, and you hardly see the fireflies.

Summer of 2010 I attempted the single exposure for firefly capture, just a few green dots in single 20 sec exposure:

June-16-2010 attempts these 2 :

_MG_7146.jpg

Can you see the fireflies?? well neither can I...but all part of the learning trial/error process

_MG_7148.jpg

Then July-11-2010 my 1st stacked attempt gave so-so results, but showed some possibility for neat shot:

FireflysComposite%2525207-09-10.jpg

This 2nd stacked attempt of 8 second images from July 14-2010 had more promise:

FireflysComposite%2525207-14-10%2525208sec%252520f1%252520v3.jpg

What I learned is the time of evening/dusk to begin shooting at, taking trial shots to balance exposure/capture of fireflies vs over bright sky, etc.

Then I backed up more for this multi-exposure shot taken July-16-2010, which included star trails.

In my mind, this was where it was at, fireflies + star trails, so that was my mindset for next future attempt .

Jul%25252016%252520fireflies%252520b.jpg

So, like many things in life, you actually learn over multiple attempts.

Moving to the bottom of the driveway for more wide field view and rules of 1/3 was learned by this July-16-2010 capture in portrait orientation - with fireflies

Jul%2016%20jpg%20startrails%20all%20frames.jpg

and winter star trails image taken Feb-4-2011 here in landscape orientation:

North%20looking%20StarTrails%202-05-2011%204am%2055%20min%20exposures.jpg

Therefore, I took all the above lessons learned:

-multiple captures over time

-composition rules of 1/3 for the scene

-choose landscape over portrait

-special software to process the image

So, come on people, go out and shoot some fireflies!

• 3 weeks later...

My photo has been shortlisted in the Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012 competition held by the Royal Observatory Greenwich, therefore I decided to spend a little more PP time on it.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/visit/exhibitions/astronomy-photographer-of-the-year/

I've re-processed the image by individually removing the plane streaks from the 23 frames and re-stacking with those frames back in.

Got rid of almost all the gaps in the star trails.

The 1 remaining gap.....I went to the camera to check the camera setting's thinking I left the ISO at 200 not 800, hence that gap, darn mosquitoes caused me to doubt the settings upon starting the process.

Re-processed:

Summer%2520Nights%2520in%2520Michigan.jpg

Prior:

stackedImage-homelight%2520-%2520Version%25202.jpg

• 2 months later...

I did not win in my category called "Earth and Space" in the Royal Observatory Greenwich Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012.

But I did get a "Highly commended" and my image is posted on their webpage below, so I'm geeked about that!

http://www.rmg.co.uk...arth-and-space/

Also check out the video, my image "Summer Nights in Michigan" is at the 4:48 mark, even the song is kinda cool!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...19637073?ref=nf

BBC%2520Summer%2520Nights%2520in%2520Michigan.jpg

I'm also here slide 8:

http://www.telegraph...l?frame=2343662

Congrats! Such a fantastic image, quite unique! It was my favourite in that category (and my favourite category!) There were quite a few "WOW!"s from the audience when it was shown at the award ceremony :-)

Archived