NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomy + Fireflies

I did not win in my category called "Earth and Space" in the Royal Observatory Greenwich Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012.

But I did get a "Highly commended" and my image is posted on their webpage below, so I'm geeked about that!

http://www.rmg.co.uk...arth-and-space/

Highly commended

Summer Nights in Michigan by Michael A. Rosinski (USA)

20 June 2012

What the photographer says:

‘I’ve been taking combined fireflies and star trail images since 2010 - it’s a learned technique. I noticed that, due to the hot weather, the fireflies seemed to be peaking much earlier than in either 2010 or 2011: four to five weeks sooner. With the heat-wave the fireflies were going bonkers on this particular evening, so I was motivated to capture them! I had to start imaging at 11pm, as it was too light before that.’

Canon T1i camera; Canon 15–85mm zoom lens at 15mm; ISO 800; 400 25-second exposures

What it shows:

Earthly and heavenly sources of light are contrasted in this long-exposure image. Up in the sky, the rotation of the Earth draws the stars out into neat concentric trails, while down on the ground the swarming of fireflies creates a more frenzied pattern.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a pro photographer, this is a hobby for me.

The Royal Observatory Greenwich is doing the below for their 10 featured images, since mine is fortunate to be 1 of them.

3323.1.450.450.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

212_large.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived