Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory

todd8137

Hi all been scratching my head on a base for the obs,now concrete is the easy answer,but that seems a bit of hard work and my backs not at it's best at the min,do I get some concrete fence posts and sit them on that what did did you do what are the pros and cons of a concrete base

Pat

A alternative would be 4" post sunk in to the ground with joist 6" X 2" bolted to the outside of the posts, then 6" X 2" going front to back with 18" centers, you would still need the concrete for the pier, but the post could be held in place with Pea Shingle, this would also solve the "will it blow away in the wind" only if it takes your garden with it...:)

Double pouring of concrete for mine - one for the bolt on pier with a gap from the second pouring for the observatory base. Very substantial and no interaction between the two so I can walk around the dome while imaging with impunity.

what are the pros and cons of a concrete base

Well, concrete is cheap, strong, stable and doesn't require much skill to get a passable result. It can be laid in different shapes and sizes as needed. It's readily available and is long-lasting.

Against, would be that it's difficult to remove or alter. It doesn't look very nice and is cold & damp both to stand on and to store telescopes on.

If your back's not up to the strain, you can get commercial concrete delivered off a mixer and hire a "no job is too small" labourer to lay a slab for you. Maybe even get him to dig out the foundations, too.

Mine is bolted down onto a stone circle with a wooden decking floor. The pier support was cast first to be physically separated from the stone ring. The centre stone was left out - the plan being that if the observatory and pier was taken away the final stone could be put back (after cutting the mounting bolts) leaving a 3m diameter stone patio rather than an ugly concrete pad.

Hi all well the pier is in custom made by astrotec limited a hefty 65 kg ,I will add some pics later as I can not upload with the I pad .no flash I am in limbo with the base .I do not care if it is concrete because the shed will cover it and I can not see me not ever haveing the shed so the ugly concrete will never be seen the hole was dug at 800x 800x800mm it took nearly a ton of concrete on its own the bolts were sunk and a wooden plate left on the top ,when it went of the wooden plate was moved and pier put in place

may I just say graham from astrotec limited went the extra mile he delivered it from the other side of Leicester and I live near chesterfield ,so it was a long trip he even dug the hole and mixed the concrete ect ,I do have a bad back pics to follow,thanks for all you help and suggestions

pat

Yes, that was a great service by Graham, good to know it is all comming together for you Pat, sorry but have not noticed but did you get the shed?

A lot of though has to go into the building of an observatory to get everything perfect and I have to say that I have been negilent in this, a could have done better would best sum up my endeavours, maybe next time :).

Jim

Archived