refractor for visual only

vlebo

Hi all

While i'm waitimg for the weather to clear I am still looking for a setup to use for grab n go and I am looking at these two scopes which will be mounted on a skytee2

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/equinox/skywatcher-equinox-120-apo-pro-ota.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen/vixen-na-140-ssf-flat-field-refractor.html

I am looking for something easy to set up and portable and it will be purely for visual. To the refractor fans out there given they are roughly the same price and one being an apo and the other not but with more aperture which would you go for ?

Thanks

Vlebo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think you can go wrong with either. Both should deliver beautiful views.:)

Ive used a 120 ED on the skytee, works vrery nicely indeed. I know others have used a 10" newt on it even hed a go myself, so weight shouldnt be a problem with the 140mm scope.

What a great choice to have.

I have an ED120 Pro but I tend to agree with Steve that either would be a great visual scope. The Vixen optical tubes are light for their aperture (I have an older Vixen ED102SS) and very well put together - a cut above the Skywatcher ED Pro in that respect but perhaps not quite as glossy as the Equinox 120. Vixen focusers are excellent wheras I've heard of quite a few Equinox owners who decided to replace the stock focusers.

I think if you are interested in owning something "different" the Vixen would fulfil this - you don't see many about !

The Equinox is real quality in my view, the trade-off with the larger Vixen is the CA being an APO, I always choose quality of view over size, that's what counts for me at the end of the day, The smaller Equinox is more grab n' go though a bit heavier, but should not be a problem.

Edit: as you can see below, my focuser has been replaced, always go for utmost quality for viewing!

I am looking for something easy to set up and portable and it will be purely for visual.

kv.gif

It would probably be worth starting a new thread on this to avoid side tracking this one - unless your needs coincide very closely with the original posters that is :smiley:

I would ask the question "what is your primary observing interest?" If it is the moon and planets you may find the false colour of the non-apo scope detracts from the view. If DSO is more your thing, the larger aperture will always serve you better.

A bit of evereything really ( I know there is no one scope that does this ) but I will be using it for quick views of whatever I can get as my time is very limited.

I would ask the question "what is your primary observing interest?" If it is the moon and planets you may find the false colour of the non-apo scope detracts from the view. If DSO is more your thing, the larger aperture will always serve you better.

A bit of evereything really ( I know there is no one scope that does this ) but I will be using it for quick views of whatever I can get as my time is very limited.

Unfortunately I do not have firsthand experience of either scope, and those individuals who do will always be best placed to offer up advice on scope selection. I recall reading the Sky at Night review of the Skywatcher so safe to say is is good instrument. I did stumble across FLO announcing the availability of the Vixen and one user (Skybadger) has provided some thoughts you might want to read. Link below.

http://stargazerslou...ield-refractor/

it might be worth saying, which is obviously a personal think - but these telescope are a 'fair' size and for me would not be an option as an ideal grab and go - would be great main telescopes though. For me 80 to 100mm would be the choice.

andrew

Thanks everyone , I also am leaning towards the larger aperture of the Vixen and as a former Equinox owner know of the sloppy focuser problem so with the Vixen would probably not have to do an upgrade. As far as cooling down is concerned it will be kept in my garage which is always near enough outside temp. Still not sure if the views from the Apo compared to the achro would be that much better to warrant a 20mm drop in aperture though. Also it would help if I could get to see the Vixen and compare sizes but unfortunately there are not too many around.

Thanks everyone , I also am leaning towards the larger aperture of the Vixen and as a former Equinox owner know of the sloppy focuser problem so with the Vixen would probably not have to do an upgrade. As far as cooling down is concerned it will be kept in my garage which is always near enough outside temp. Still not sure if the views from the Apo compared to the achro would be that much better to warrant a 20mm drop in aperture though. Also it would help if I could get to see the Vixen and compare sizes but unfortunately there are not too many around.

Before you pull the trigger I would suggest you have a quick chat about the Vixen with the team at First Light Optics and whether it would fulfil your needs. In the link I mentioned previously they state that they see the scope more as a narrowband imaging platform than anything else. Might be worth hearing their thoughts on how it stacks up for visual use. The last thing you want to do is spend £1,300 or so and not be 100% satisfied. There is nothing worse than a scope that ends up just collecting dust.

At that price point my C8 OTA is more grab'n'go (4.7kg), with money to spare. Very good all round visual performer except on half a dozen very wide field DSOs. On DSOs it gathers twice the light of the Vixen, and it will show finer planetary detail at a slightly lower contrast (not to everyone's liking). Going back to fracs: as grab'n'go I use my APM 80F/6, and a very nice little scope it is (2.5 kg).

At that price point my C8 OTA is more grab'n'go (4.7kg), with money to spare. Very good all round visual performer except on half a dozen very wide field DSOs. On DSOs it gathers twice the light of the Vixen, and it will show finer planetary detail at a slightly lower contrast (not to everyone's liking). Going back to fracs: as grab'n'go I use my APM 80F/6, and a very nice little scope it is (2.5 kg).

Thanks Michael . Not quite sure where I am going with this as I am constantly changing my mind. I want to stick to just one scope as I do not have much time to stargaze consequently it need to be easy to set up and portable enough to take to the occassional dark site . I am now finding myself looking at this

http://www.firstligh...t-xlt-goto.html

and then maybe selling the mount and putting it on a Skytee2. For me grab n go means a big an aperture as possible( weight not so much of an issue ) but easy and quick to set up without using any electronics as it will be purely for visual. Do you think this could fit the bill as an all round ( planetary and dso ) telescope.

Vlebo

The C11 is a great visual scope both for DSOs and planetary viewing. I do not know if the sky-tee 2 can handle it. The C11 is quite a handful. I think it is rather undermounted on the supplied mount. If the mount is sufficient, you can ignore the goto alignment and just use the RA motor to track.

The C11 is a great visual scope both for DSOs and planetary viewing. I do not know if the sky-tee 2 can handle it. The C11 is quite a handful. I think it is rather undermounted on the supplied mount. If the mount is sufficient, you can ignore the goto alignment and just use the RA motor to track.

Its been posted a few times that the CG5 is not butch enough to take the C11 but the sky-tee 2 can take approx 12 kg either side , maybe a skytee2 owner may have a better idea ?

eek ! your right , with my Pentax XW' s and a 2" diagonal I think i will be pushing my luck . Just saw that the sky-tee 2 can take up to 15kg each side ( my mistake ) but I will be probably pushing my luck.

Any suggestions ? or it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the help Michael . I will look at the C9.25 as it comes in at just over 9kg which is less of a strain on the skytee 2 or , as you mentrioned , go for the CG5 and use it just to track .

The skytee2 handles a 120ED Pro with ease, no wobble even at high mags. I used to have the 100ED on an eq3-2 and it got the shakes at anything above 100 mag.

It's pure grab and go, the scope comes with a case which fits in the car boot and just plonk it on the mount and ready to go :smiley:

Only minor issue is that the EP is quite low when viewing targets high in the sky, so would recommend an extension tube. A RACI finder helps too.

Archived