NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are the best things in the sky to see for a beginner?

I know the question is somewhat subjective, but as a beginner, what are some of the best things to look at? You know, the cool things that keep interest going.

Galaxies, planets, etc

Im trying to keep my son interested and, Ill admit, myself as well. We found Saturn which was cool and the moon was pretty good but thats about it. We have the Nexstar 130 SLT and we have it point at some things, but we dont really see too much. Granted though, we dont know which ones to look at or even which ones we are able to see with our scope.

Any advise you can give would be appriciated!

thansk

Two things immediately spring to mind as a long term solution to your problem:

1. Buy "Turn Left at Orion" and work through the objects in that. There are descriptions of what to expect and how to find the (although you have goto so to some degree you don't need the latter).

2. Start hunting the Messier objects. Most of those are well worth seeing. Get a good book that describes them so you know what you're seeing.

Those two options are complementary since there are lots of nice objects that aren't Messier objects. Double stars are the obvious examples.

If you're after a quick fix, though, you can go for:

- The double star, albireo

- M13, the great cluster in Hercules.

- M81 and M82, which are two bright galaxies in the same field of view

- The planetary nebulae M27 and M57

- The star cloud M24 (and also other Messier objects in that area). You'll need a good southern horizon for those, however.

Right now it doesn't get terribly dark in the UK, though. Despite this, the brighter Messier objects will be visible.

To be honest one of the first things I did was try and find all the planets, as you said Saturn but imo Jupiter and the gallilean moons are a must see. And if I'm not mistaken at end of this month you can watch it pass behind the moon.

Oh and I too would recommend getting Turn left at Orion, its very good and easy to use. :D

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

Two things immediately spring to mind as a long term solution to your problem:

1. Buy "Turn Left at Orion" and work through the objects in that. There are descriptions of what to expect and how to find the (although you have goto so to some degree you don't need the latter).

2. Start hunting the Messier objects. Most of those are well worth seeing. Get a good book that describes them so you know what you're seeing.

Those two options are complementary since there are lots of nice objects that aren't Messier objects. Double stars are the obvious examples.

If you're after a quick fix, though, you can go for:

- The double star, albireo

- M13, the great cluster in Hercules.

- M81 and M82, which are two bright galaxies in the same field of view

- The planetary nebulae M27 and M57

- The star cloud M24 (and also other Messier objects in that area). You'll need a good southern horizon for those, however.

Right now it doesn't get terribly dark in the UK, though. Despite this, the brighter Messier objects will be visible.

wow, I google searched those things and am impressed! I would be able to see these with the scope I have?

There's an occultation of Jupiter this month?! Seems to be this one? http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5068293/Main/5068293

To the OP: Yes, you will be able to see all those things. Remember that Messier found all those objects with a telescope much inferior to yours (although he did have darker skies). The key thing is to calibrate your expectations. There'll be no colour and at first many of those objects will look like little smudges. You can expect M27 to look somewhat like this: http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/astronomy/figs/M27_11x80BCF.jpg Quite possibly it will look a little better than that, since that sketch is through a 60 mm scope. However, exactly what you see will depend on how much light pollution you have and how much experience you have. The more time you spend looking, the more you will see. You will not be able to resolve stars in M81 and M82 but you will see that they're different shapes. I would guess your scope will show stars at the edges of M13 but not near the core (I've not used a 5" so I'm not certain, hopefully someone who has one will chip in). M24 will be impressive. If M24 is hard to get at then you can go for the Double Cluster (NGC 884), which is quite stunning. Near it will be M31, which is our nearest galaxy. Both of those will become easier to see in late summer and autumn, when they're higher in the sky and it gets darker.

Of course Jupiter! Forgot about that. You'll love it! It's just becoming a morning object again and by August will be rising around midnight.

The 130 has a 5" mirror and was rated by the Sunday Times recently as the best scope for a beginner - you can expect to see loads.

Your handset has a feature called "Constellation Tour." Constellation Tour lets you explore the most spectacular objects in a given area of the sky, is is an excellent way to learn or tour the night sky whilst viewing some of the more interesting objects too. Well worth exploring that option, especially if your view is unimpeded by buildings / trees etc.

M42 the Orion nebula is coming around again in a couple of months, this is a must see and will definately keep you and your son interested in the hobby.

As sunshine said, stellarium is a must have, it will enable you to plan your nights better so you can make the most of any clear skies we get.

HTH.

D.C

some good advice so far. my advice would be buy the Sky&Telescope pocket Atlas and a red dot finder (if you don't have one already). The Baader Skysurfer 3 is good value. these items will allow you to plan your evening's and become more productive. the way I often 'work' is to concentrate on one or two constellations per night which are well placed for observing. that way you don't have to move about much and will get to know the sky better too.

Cassiopaea is coming around soon and is a great constellation to observe in - lots of star clusters including the ET Cluster NGC457, one of my favourites and children like this especially.

I would also suggest downloading "Stellarium" which is free and which can be viewed here. Lots of great features that will keep you going when the clouds come in. You can control the way the sky looks (with or without different labels etc) to help you learn the sky and there is also an advance date/time feature that will help show you when objects are going to appear in the sky which is useful if you have work/school the next day. Its free and its fun to use and is popular here too.

Clear skies for now,

James

I agree stellarium is a must. But if you don't want to take a computer out with you there are a number of apps you could use, on the iPhone I sometimes use star walk or sky safari both utilise the gyroscope in the phone and all you have to do is point your phone up at the sky and it will tell u what you are looking at or where to look for a specific target. They should be available on android too.

Try this site and decide on some of the simpler ones:

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/AlphabeticObservingClubs.html

Try the Binocular Double Star and Binocular Messier options first.

If they can be seen in binoculars then a 130 should have no problems.

After that how about Globular Clusters, Galaxy Groups and Clusters, Open Clusters, Solar Syatem Observers.

Should keep you busy.

For Messier Objects try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects

Click on the right hand column and reorder the list by magnitude, then work down the bright ones.

That should be enough for the next 6 months, based on 1 decent viewing night a month. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

If you have a clear night tonight:

Square of Pegasus in the east from 11PM

Double cluster next to Cassiopeia

Saturn will be in the south West near the star Spica.

Or if you look in Cygnus yo uwill see the stars of the Milky Way (the galactic disc, not the chocolate bar).

Archived