NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Welcome one and all!!

sologuitarist61

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Richard for starting up a Devon and Cornwall members section. Good news.

As for the cream tea debate- when I am doing my own at home I am a bit more random and am not sure which way round the cream and the jam is 'supposed' to be so I just do what I feel like at the time!!!!

As for the pasty - it's got to have swede in it and that's that!!

Well done Richard for starting up a Devon and Cornwall members section. Good news.

As for the cream tea debate- when I am doing my own at home I am a bit more random and am not sure which way round the cream and the jam is 'supposed' to be so I just do what I feel like at the time!!!!

As for the pasty - it's got to have swede in it and that's that!!

Thanks Trillian and welcome, please feel free to start any new posts you feel would be useful to us all - and that goes for everyone, don't feel that you have to wait for someelse to post before you respond. The admin staff will, I am sure, be watching to see how we all react to this new privilege and to how well we use it, so let us all keep the ball rolling.

On the pasty debate, I couldn't agree more with Trillians statement.

On the the Cream Tea debate then I will only say that jam sticks better to a scone and the crean sits better onto jam. My only sorties into the cream first version has been to end up with the heavier jam toppling off the top (and usually into my lap, which can be more than a triffle (excuse the pun) embarrassing!) and so will keep with the Cornish way of doing things for the present (actually I originally hail from Sussex and we do the Cream Teas the Cornish way as well)

I usually spread jam on one half and cream on the other and then put them together. I don't think it matters which one ends up on top. We all know that in space, top is whichever way you want it to be. The more heated debate in our household is strawberry jam, or raspberry jam?

As regards pasties, I'll live with potato, swede, whatever. It really should have chunks of meat rather than mince though.

James

Oh, and to return to astronomy for a moment, the met office is rumouring a bit of clear sky this week. Possibly Monday and Tuesday too. It'll be the first time we've had a clear night in a month if they're right...

James

Its great to see this group has been set up. Even as a relative newcomer to this hobby (read:obsession) I wondered why there was not a little corner of SGL for these two great counties.

Surely on average we should have a combination of the best weather and least light pollution in the country.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting and possibly meeting a few bods in the future

Dave

I think they have an astro fest don't they at the Norman Lockyer Obs? Any ideas when?

According to the forum calender it's Saturday August 11th from 9am to 6pm. £5 for Adults, £2.50 for children and £4 for lectures.

I for one will be planning to check it out.

Been looking at the NLO site (thanks for the link Mallorcasaint). Wow. Wasn't expecting there to be so much onsite. Add to that some suppliers stalls etc and it seems a good day out for all.

My wife has said I can go on 3 conditions.

Firstly, she has to come along (not a problem)

Secondly, She looks after my wallet (getting a bit tricky now)

Lastly, we go on the bike so there's no chance of me coming home with "another bloomin' great scope".

Game set and match to her I think. :sad:

It is also our centenary year so an extra special Astro Fest! You can check out the website here: http://www.normanlockyer.com/

By the way, membership is £20 per year or £30 per couple. Fantastic facilities and a great bunch.

Just been looking the website for NYO and will have to try and persuade my partner that it is a good gig (unfortunately i cannot drive any more so am reliant on her good nature (and driving skills)) lol. Might be a good place for us to have a small get together - what are your thoughts on that?

Been looking at the NLO site (thanks for the link Mallorcasaint). Wow. Wasn't expecting there to be so much onsite. Add to that some suppliers stalls etc and it seems a good day out for all.

My wife has said I can go on 3 conditions.

Firstly, she has to come along (not a problem)

Secondly, She looks after my wallet (getting a bit tricky now)

Lastly, we go on the bike so there's no chance of me coming home with "another bloomin' great scope".

Game set and match to her I think. :sad:

Don't give in that easily Luke, there maybe someone with a car going back your way who can fit in a Dob or two :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hi a Cornish pasty has to be made in Cornwall, never heard of a Devonish pasty

Gordon (nice one Richard)

Yes you are right Gordon, a Cornish pasty has to be made in Cornwall, but a Devon pasty I guess that's OK as long as it is made in Devon, or did we Cornish copyright the 'pasty' bit as well? Anyway, bet they would use carrot instead of swede :grin: :grin: :grin: Oh dear I fear another hornets nest being disturbed, and so soon after the cream tea debate as well. :grin:

Archived