NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm watching a 250px on fleabay but the description says it has dust on the mirror and a lose dust cap, I'm assuming he means the black part around the end of the scope where the large dust cap usualy sits in, ive sent him

A message to see if he can explain what exactly is loose,

Anyway how hard is it to clean I'm guessing the primary mirror on a 250px and "the loose dust cap" would this be something easy to repair? Im looking out for a 200p or 250px and have money put to a side that i just don't want to waste,

Cheers

The dust cap on my 250PX was loose from day one so this is not likely to be a big problem as I think it is just referring to the plastic coverplate. Most mirrors have dust on them - I guess it is a matter of degree as quite a lot of dust still has no detrimental effect on the view. Cleaning a primary mirror is not too difficult to be honest but most times it simply isn't necessary. If it does prove to be necessary,

A loose dust cap shouldn't be too much of problem, and as for dust on the primary, there was a picture posted on here a couple of months ago of a mirror from a professional observatory.... It looked like someone had dropped a pizza on it!

I really wouldn't worry too much, just as long as the optics are otherwise sound.

Thanks to you all for the quick replies. So it sounds like its nothing major then, great stuff as I'm currently highest bidder but I shall see what it goes up to, I've watched some SH ones go for the cost of a new one on eBay.

Here is the item number if it helps,

Many thanks again lads much appriciated as always,

A loose dust cap shouldn't be too much of problem, and as for dust on the primary, there was a picture posted on here a couple of months ago of a mirror from a professional observatory.... It looked like someone had dropped a pizza on it!

I really wouldn't worry too much, just as long as the optics are otherwise sound.

Was that the scope at Kelder?. It was FILTHY.

Honestly though, i would not worry about a loose dust cap (seems normal for this scope) and a bit of dust on a primary mirror is no harm. It does not mess up views.

Good luck - currently going for a decent price compared to a new one.

A little patch of duck tape on either side should give the dust cap a bit of grip if you find it does bother you.

Great excuse for selling - I've given up caffeine - lol

Taking out the Primary Mirror is removing 4 screws if memory serves me right, i marked one screw and the hole in the Primary holder so it went back the same way, trust you have a Cheshire Collimator, there are videos on mirror cleaning on the web, just take your time and your be fine...

Cheers everyone, The guy got back to me it Sounds like its hardly anythin, the dust cap goes in but dose not click in to position Proper, sound. Nothin major,

The thing I have to bare in mind is he's nearly 5 hours away so need to keep fuel cost in mind, I've spotted a 150p with a few extras for £230 but really would love a 250px, after previously owning a 200p I don't want to go lower in power,

If he has the boxes he could ship it for about £25-30 which should be less than your fuel bill.

I think you would be disappointed going down to a 150 - and the 250 will give you such better views over the 150. But thats just my opinion :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers everyone, The guy got back to me it Sounds like its hardly anythin, the dust cap goes in but dose not click in to position Proper, sound. Nothin major,

The thing I have to bare in mind is he's nearly 5 hours away so need to keep fuel cost in mind, I've spotted a 150p with a few extras for £230 but really would love a 250px, after previously owning a 200p I don't want to go lower in power,

The 250px is a lovely 'manual' dob, great resolving power that doesn't cost the Earth. For instance it spilts the 'Double Double' Epsilion Lyrae with ease and you can clearly see between the stars. It could be that the plastic tabs that hold the dust cap in place are broken, they're so easy to bend out of position and drop off. I'm pretty sure I saw on 'AstroBuy and Sell' the other day someone was selling a spare 250px dust cover, expect to pay around £10 for one. Dust is always the enemy for clean optics! My 250px just loves the stuff, easy enough to clean though if you're careful, but i'd try and avoid cleaning the mirror often as you don't want to rub away the mirror coatings.

5 hours though is a long trip!! Factoring in fuel you may find it cheaper just to have it couried over.....

Just be mindful of how big the scope is and if it'll fit in your car!!! I drive a Scirroco and I can't lay it flat across the back seats easily, a Golf etc will take it laid sideways though.Take a screw driver as you'll likely want to pack the stand down into the boot. It will go in fully built but has a habit of rolling around unless secured down properly.

One tip for the 10" Dob - invest in better Ep's, defo worth the money spent, if you're given the kit ones you'll soon notice the difference when you upgrade.

I travelled in a 5 door Clio and it easily went on the back seats and base in the boot :)

Well I better get that medal in the post to you then ;)

They'd be frustrated if they travelled all that way and it didn't fit, it's wise to be mindful of the size prior to travelling!! The base fits in most boots, just can roll around alot if not secured down, I've done enough frustrating journeys hearing a dull thud on every corner.

Archived