Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Eyepiece's?

I dont want to rush into buying anything right now but I'd like to upgrade my ep's before the nights start getting longer. Can anyone recommend a couple of low cost (£30 - £40) ep's and tell me what difference i will see, I understand the standard ep's ive got are low quality but never having used good ones Im not sure what to expect. :icon_scratch:

Ive got a skywatcher explorer 200p f5 if that helps. :smiley:

Money spent on eyepieces apart from getting better build quality and functionality, can ultimately provide two better field of view, better contrast and a better viewing experience (better eye relief, less aberrations etc) There is a point at which extra money buys diminishing advantages and this is when spending more can become very subjective, what is gaining that tiny bit more contrast actually worth given that observation also depends on the quality of the scope and viewing conditions. The eyepieces supplied with your kit aren't that bad compared to the jam jars that they used to supply. BST range of eyepieces are in your price range, comfortable to use, good build quality and eye relief. Alternatively you could always take a look at second hand eyepieces which will proved better value for money.

James

I've been thinking about this recently, too. So far I haven't decided on brands or anything, but ISTM a general purpose set would each be about 50% longer focal length than the previous one. So on that basis, I'd suggest trying for the following:

4mm, 6, 10, 16, 26 and 40mm Then with a x2 Barlow you can get a good selection of magnifications that's suitable for many different size and brightness of object.

The only way you will get a benchmark is to try one for yourself.

I used 'ordinary' eyepieces for many years not realising just a small step up can provide a large difference. I bought an inexpensive Meade 4000 6.4mm Plössl and it was a huge improvement over the standard 10mm + barlow I'd been using.

Of course, over the years, one thing lead to another ;)

...I understand the standard ep's ive got are low quality...

You understand? Is that from reading posts on SGL or from looking through them and getting consistently poor views over a number of observing sessions?

Now bearing in mind that viewing conditions can vary a lot, and we all started by trying to get maximum magnification, it's not a surprise that the supplied EPs get a bad press, unfairly so in my opinion. They're fine to start with and will form the basis of a decent collection of plossls.

If you want to add to your collection I would suggest you consider what targets you like, or want, to observe then look for an EP that fits the bill. So, if widefield DSOs are you thing for example, then a 32mm plossl would be a good buy. My collection includes GSO Revelation and Meade 4000 series plossls, but Vixen NPLs are also popular, and all three are available within your budget.

When i bought the scope the salesman told me the ep's don't do the scope justice, but not to rush into buying anything straight away and have fun finding my way around the sky for a while. I've also read a few posts saying the same thing so although im impressed with what im seeing ( when its clear!) i cant help feeling like im missing out. Like i said i'm in no hurry but want to get the best (subject to cost) i can out of the scope.

Now, let me say this. You aren't missing out, the views from the standard EPs are amazing, and when you consider what Galileo will have been looking through, you can (and we all can) certainly consider how lucky we are to have Optical standards so high nowadays. Try and take it slowly by starting with a £30-£40 budget (that you suggested, possibly pushing it to £47 for a BST), and get to know what you want to see more of so you know what you want to see. Remember, the sky isn't going anywhere and it's not a race, just take it slow :).

I see the comment 'the sky isn't going anywhere' quite often and it always makes me chuckle ! But, with each passing day, Saturn, my favorite thing in the sky is getting lower and lower and gradually becoming harder to observe ... so get your finger out ! ;)

Not aimed at you mate ! just a general observation.

hope i haven't miffed you :embarrassed:

Nah.

To OP, It would be helpful to know where your interests are to know what focal length eyepieces you should be getting first :).

I've got a range of GSO plossls (all in my sig are GSO apart from my 32mm which is a Celestron omni plossl) and I can't complain about them really. The 9 and 12mm do have small eye relief but thats to be expected really however the 15mm and 20mm are brilliant and give really nice, crisp views.

Hi Phil

I've got te same set up as you and am also planning to upgrade my EP's at some stage in the future, so this post has been very interesting. Sound's like the GSO and BST Plossls are rated pretty highly, and look good value over the Celeston X-Cel Series. I also heard that the Altair EX Wide Field 70 deg EPs are quite good, but I haven't seen any reviews. Wonder if any of you guys out there have these?

Of course with the SW 200P you've a choice of 1.25'' or 2'' (just to complicate things further!). I found the following quite useful (as I'm a complete novice)... http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm. It probably came off this site originally!

Hi,

This is the trickiest bit of buying astro gear. I have purchased 14 eyepieces trying to get the right combinations!!!

I carry 9 in my day-to-day eyepiece case and in reality use about 4 different ones on any one evening.

I would recommend a 32 mm eyepiece for your setup as it will give you a magnification of 31, which in my view is ideal for DSO.

Plus a 2X Barlow and the 32mm eyepiece gives a mag of 62. ( so you don't need a 15mm eyepiece)

If possible visit a Star Party and see what others are using, they may even lend you eyepieces to try in your scope!!!!!!

( beware..., this can be expensive when you see a result that wows you!!)

I agree with the advice given by James..... he usually natters good sense!!!

Best of Luck.

Adrian

Hi

I recently purchased a Panaview 32mm 2 inch eyepiece for DSOs. Haven't used it yet for obvious reasons. I'm looking at adding a high power 1.25 inch EP for planetary and lunar work, possibly the BST 8mm. Hopefully these should be the only two EPs I need for this scope.

HTH!

Thanks all, lots for me to think about before parting with any cash. :grin:

If you can hang on for a while, we are talking a leading retailer into bringing a stock of standard entry - mid level bits and bobs to Peak Star Party 2012 this October. Buxton isn't a million miles from Chester so you could always pop over for a day and try a few things out, then spend the evening using them.

Hi

I have the same telescope and went thru the same issues you are facing.

Basically i bought a 7mm celestron x-cel ep and a skywatcher panaview 32mm. I cant recommend them highly enough.

They are not top of the range but they are also not the bottom

I use the ep provided with the 200p and am working my through the messier list.

I know those two ep are out of your bracket at the moment but we all have to compromise on something.

I hope you have fun with the 200p I certainly do

Archived