NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6: Play on the DEC axis?

I just bought a new NEQ6, noticed some play, about plus/minus 1 degree on the DEC axis, a lot less on the RA axis. I was testing my guide camera and noticed the image would jump up and down if I touched the scope, thought it was the focuser or camera not being secure but it was play in the DEC axis.

Is that normal (I have no prior experience of these mounts) so I am not sure if this is business as usual or if I have a QC problem? I can't see anything I can adjust. I have read that you need to bias the balance so that it is always leaning against the drive direction, may be that's all that's required. :(

Thanks, Tony.

I noticed when mine arrived yesterday & after I'd assembled it that there was a slight amount of play. Looks like a day of tinkering may be in order.

Well I can't see us having clear skies now so I'll apologise in advance.:(

I've only tweaked the HEQ5 and find that mine works best WITH a slight bit of play in the RA axis but only a slight bit of play(this I asume this will vary from mount to mount). I also find it best to test gears for binding with a full load (the scope you want to use etc) on the mount and carrying out full rotations of both axis to check for any points in which the gears may start to bind prior to using the mount in anger! as adjusting in the dark is not the best :( try to slew the gears to all the points that you will use etc as there's nothing more frightening as listening to your mount start to sqeal and lock up in the middle of a meridean flip etc!!(usually for me when the scope is below the height of the counter weight if that makes sense).

Post back on how you get on mate!

Matt.

I had my neq6 spread all over the kitchen table for the last couple of days.I was suffering a jump in the RA when guiding causing elongated stars.

On the whole it was not too bad, adequate lubrication and main bearings ok. Even the worm roller bearings which are prone to be lumpy were fine. Only the DEC roller bearing was a bit sticky. I flushed and regreased and it seems better.

However, on the RA stepper motor I found that there was a very tight spot between the main motor gear and the transfer gear and overall the transfer gear wobbled like blazes. Hopefully sorted this.

All back together now, but not fully tweeked re meshing yet.

Not at all hard to do, just take your time and don't force anything.

Best to try the mount out first before you decide to adjust anything. Get the balance of your set up right and take it from there.

It may well work fine straight out of the box. Good Luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have some play in my DEC axis on my HEQ5 - When it's all locked down I can still move the puck by perhaps 1/8th of an inch. I was concerned about this and stripped down the DEC axis, but it is still the same. The good part is that it has NO effect whatsoever on guiding and I am getting 25 minute subs throughout the night without having to discard any of them - So whatever it is, doesn't affect guiding.

Get the mount up and running first before taking it apart and assuming that you have a problem - We are very quick to see something we assume will affect our images (for example a poor guiding graph) and in reality when the subs roll in it's all fine.

Follow the Astro Baby thread/instructions and you should be fine. Adjusted mine until it was just too tight then backed the adjuster off ¼ turn and it was fine. Since made a belt mod to the mount which has improved things considerably. Good luck, don't rush things

• 3 years later...

I have the same iss

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2012 at 00:02, nightvision said:

I just bought a new NEQ6, noticed some play, about plus/minus 1 degree on the DEC axis, a lot less on the RA axis. I was testing my guide camera and noticed the image would jump up and down if I touched the scope, thought it was the focuser or camera not being secure but it was play in the DEC axis.

Is that normal (I have no prior experience of these mounts) so I am not sure if this is business as usual or if I have a QC problem? I can't see anything I can adjust. I have read that you need to bias the balance so that it is always leaning against the drive direction, may be that's all that's required. :(

Thanks, Tony.

I have exactly the same issue, jumping up and down when the mount is precisely balanced, putting it off balance does tend to cure it, though when I use my 300p it can be difficult to get just right, too much, and it seems to affect tracking. I am not particularly good at adjusting anything mechanical, I don't want to make it worse, so I have left it. But it is very annoying. A quick easy fix would be great. But when I say easy I mean without having to a full a scope setup test at hi resolution, just to check how the play is going. only to have to adjust again, then back to a full scope setup test.  I am not sure if the play can always be adjusted out. I am wondering if that depends on whats causing it. maybe others on here Know

Archived