Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1396 Elephant Trunk in Cepheus

Fay

Went to a sky camp the weekend, so better sky than at home.

This was 20x600, QSI 583ws, SW ED80, 0.85fr, 12nm ha filter.

The subs of the last three deep sky objects, I have tried to image lately, have come out with hardly any detail, I was using the 7nm ha filter. I used the Astronomik 12nm for this one, and there was a lot of difference in the subs taken with each filter.

Thanks

Fay

7281916312_824d77edb7_b.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fay - That's REALLY nice...! And that's a lovely FOV you've got with that QSI. I took 20x900s on this same object on Saturday night with my Equinox 80 / 314L+ using the Baader 7nm Ha filter. It might be interesting to compare the difference...

(Are you intending to get any OIII/SII for this as well, or maybe RGB and use this as luminance?)

Thanks Andy. I would love to get some O & S, good conditions are few & far between lately, for all of us, so I always want to go elswhere, when I should stick to my O & S plan.

I love my Atik 314.

I have used the 7nm a lot with the QSI, but the last 3 times i have given up on the subs, even lots of 900 & 600 secs on The Christmas Tree from Kielder, of all places.

look forward to seeing yours

Fay

Lovely detailed pic Fay. I've got the Baader and the Astronomik Ha filters so that is a very interesting observation. I found difficulty controlling the halo in the bright stars that the 12 tends to display whereas the 7 exhibits hardly any.

Hi Fay,

In theory at least, the 7nm filter should give better S/N ratio and slightly more contrast.

Looking at the specs of Astronomic and Baader it seems the Astronomic filters are rated at about 97% efficiency and the Baader around 90%. How true those figures are I don't know. If correct the Baader would need slightly more exposure I should think. Why your subs are wildly different I'm not sure. I remember the Kielder subs and they weren't great. The KAF 8300 chip is less than 50% efficient at the Ha line so it all adds up.

Another thing to consider is the anti-reflective coating. I think your Baader is better than the Astronomic.

Perhaps try 900 subs with the 7nm and look again.

Re the image. Once again you've created a lovely smooth background and it doesn't look like you've used much, or any, noise reduction. Quite how you do that with the 8300 chip beats me :(

Dave.

re Andy's image. I think it has more " Snap " but that could be processing.

Thanks everyone. Yes i will be keeping an eye on the filters to see how they continue to perform, in what conditions etc.

Yes Dave. I think Andy's is sharper. I have done a bit more processing to improve the sharpness etc.

Fay

Very nice!

Mono, mono, mono.... I feel like Arthur Dent, only he thought 'Yellow' in the opening of THGTTG. It's a word that has stuck in my head since you and so many others get some really, really nice images with monos.

Looks good to me, Fay. It may be that the 8300 chip doesn't like the Baader filter. I do get better results with the Baader 7Nm than my Astronomik 13Nm but that's with the 4000 chip. A dark art... Who knows?

Olly

well my attempt at processing my O & S has failed, nebula looked like thick orange semolina!!!!!!! Back to the drawing board!!

Fay

Longer subs may be needed, I have the 8300 chip (QHY9) and always use 15 - 20 mins subs for narrowband, using the Baader filters.

The image below is 5 subs in each channel.........

Trunk_nb_web-2.jpg

I think you are right Martin, especially from my home location, that was taken at a dark site.

I have always used the 7nm with the QSI Olly, so not sure why I have had 3 duff results lately.

Fay

Archived