Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eagle nebula from last night

mindburner

managed to get out for a few frames of the eagle nebula. The modded camera worked well but still need to get control of the colour a bit

still I was quite pleased with the result of my first nebula and it was pretty low in the sky. It was nice to actually see the pillars of creation, much beloved of hubble fame

45 mins of subs with darks & flats

meade 127 apo with neq6 and st 80 guiding

images converted to TIF and processed in Nebulosity

any tips on processing nebula would be greatly appreciated:)

eagle%20try1.png

also m106 but noise got the better of me on this one:

m106%20png.png

Wow, marvelous eagle nebula! Lovely, smooth detail considering only 45mins of exposure (really!?)

actually upon re checking my subs it's

27 x 2 minutes

random amount I know as the target disappeared in the trees

I had a bit of a tweak of this one, hope you don't mind :(

eagle-try1.jpg

In Photoshop I just lowered the red down and raised the green and blue levels up a tad.

Also rounded out the stars a bit using a duplicate layer set to "Darken"

oh yes please feel free to tweak away:)

Thats a nice tweak I must say, brings out more details. I think if I had more subs, it would really look spectacular.

I definitely need to brush up on my processing skills

Spikey, good point on the highpass filter, will give it a try tonight and lower the red a bit. I just was not too sure if the red in the image was nebula or 'extra' red due to the modding of the camera, if you know what I mean

I know what you mean :( The red can be a bit tricky to control.

The highpass shouln't really affect the red much, try a high pass at say 3 pixels, blend hard light and then adjust the slider to suit. I'll have a go in a minute as I'm on my main computer now.

High pass filter, then a quick drop down of the hue to -2 and drop the saturation to kill of some of the red tinge.

A bit like this;

[ATTACH]88021[/ATTACH]

hi thats nice! I wouldn't mind trying that on the original tif

I tried in PS using the high pass filter (under filters, other), but the result was washed out with 3 pixels. Is there something else I need to do

thanks

ahh, upon doing some further research, I have managed to get it working. will post up another try with the TIF

hi thats nice! I wouldn't mind trying that on the original tif

I tried in PS using the high pass filter (under filters, other), but the result was washed out with 3 pixels. Is there something else I need to do

thanks

ahh, upon doing some further research, I have managed to get it working. will post up another try with the TIF

Yup, I always do it on a copy layer and set the blend mode to hard light and I also adjust the opacity to suit as it's usually way too much at 100%.

Nice image you got there. I tried this one a few weeks ago but it has now gone behind a neighbours house, end of July might give me another run.

Interesting, most other posts I see say use soft light on the high pass filter.

I've seen it used on terrestrial photos but for me soft light never looks correct when trying to sharpen an astro image, maybe it's just my eyes :( Overlay blending mode and linear blending mode also works fairly well. I've deliberately left the saturation alone on high pass and just dropped it slightly post flatten. If I had the .tiff I would de-saturate completely on the high pass layer before applying it to cut down some of the red. At the end of the day it's an individual thing anyway, nothing is absolutely right or absolutely wrong; some may like it some may not :(

Archived