Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tonights meteor shower!

Dave..

Look NNE after 11pm (Towards Cassiopeia.) If you have a clear sky you should see loads..If you have a digital camera plonk it on a tripod and just leave the shutter open.

Don't forget to post your results ...

PS..Welcome to the forum.

Just went up to my Daughters bedroom to look out the bedroom window with me Bino's then realised that my neighbours bedroom light was on and the curtains were open. Swiftly came back downstairs :shock:

Guess I will just have to watch the ISS Flyby instead

Just went up to my Daughters bedroom to look out the bedroom window with me Bino's then realised that my neighbours bedroom light was on and the curtains were open. Swiftly came back downstairs Shocked

Guess I will just have to watch the ISS Flyby instead

I find the 10x50's are the best for that ..The 15x70's fail to reach focus... :)

I'll get my coat.. :(

I started observing 9.45pm and encouraged a few friends to get a look in after midnight and then guess what? sodding clouds!! :(:) They will hopefully clear up near to maximum but my friends will have gone to bed, shame. In the seven years I have been into astronomy I have NEVER managed to see a shower maximum...here's hoping that tonight I break that pattern.

From 9.45-10.45 I counted 7 meteors, 4 of which were bright fireballs with an afterglow. Then from 10.45 until 11.15 there was sweet f.a. until the clouds rolled in. We'll see what's happening later.

Phil

OK then, just been out for the last two hours. Between 0000 and 0100 I counted ten and between 0100 and 0200 I counted 11. Apparently the maximum is supposed to be 80 per hour, so far a fairly lacklustre performance. Of course my eyes are not fully night adapted because my neighbours never sleep! Having said that I don't think I need full night adaptation to see bright streaks in the night sky.

I've just popped in for a break because it's getting really boring out there. The big fireballs were earlier between 2145 and 2245 there has only been one decent one since. I hope I don't run out of patience before the official maximum. Oh yes and I have a numb bum :(

Phil

p.s. In the end I gave up at around 3am when the fabric on the deck chair I was sitting on ripped :) The chair had been in the shed for years and had obviously started to rot, D'OH! I have to say that even then there were hardly any meteors and I don't think the hourly rate went above 10 for most of the night. In fact according to the SPA's meteor section website the actual maximum was not, as advertised everywhere else, at 0400 local but between 0630-0730 UT which would be daylight. I must confess to being a bit disappointed with my first properly observed meteor shower...still haven't caught a maximum.

Archived