Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatories

Hi all,

I got myself a 12" dobsonian (which recently I posted about the possibilities of keeping outside). However I have managed a couple of good sessions observing but I struggle with taking the dob from house to garden and back again . It isn't a straightforward route and there are a few steps to contend with. It also doesnt help that I managed to fall out of a tree a couple of years back and still suffer. I have considered building some type of roll off roof observatory with a section of the upper walls moving with the roof to give better lower visability. Has anyone built anything like this and is it feasable for a dobsonian. I would appreciate any comments or information, or even if the idea is not relly practical for a dobsonian. Richf

Hi abberation, have you had a look through the obsy build section which is a subsection of the DIY section? there is a weath of info on this section which I'm sure would help you if you want to build an obsy. One option could be to build a small role off obsy where the whole obsy runs off on rails thus unlimited views plus a home for the dob:)

It might be a old wifes tale, but a bit of Chestnut wood in the construction should keep the spiders away...:(

It is indeed an old wives tale. As is putting conkers down.

<nobody_expects_the_Spanish_inquisition_voice> Nobody can keep the spiders out! </nobody_expects_the_Spanish_inquisition_voice>

Archived