Solar Telescope Loan advice needed

mystarrymessengr

Hi Folks

I am a secondary school science teacher / amatuer astronomer, and im hoping to put on a solar observation day in the summer. I teach at a birmingham based school in the west midlands and although we have just managed to buy ourselves an 8 inch dobsonian, we are in desperate need of getting our hands on a solar telescope, a coronardo PST, would be ideal.

I have done a google search and I can see that some parts of the UK have laon schemes from local universities. However I cannot seem to find any solar scopes to loan / borrow near by.

Are there any solar scopes loan schemes out there? or are there any local astro groups who may have access to them. who are near the Solihull / birmingham area who may be able to assist?

Thank you for your time folks, and I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Ben

Science Teacher / Amatuer Astronomer

Hi Folks

I am a secondary school science teacher / amatuer astronomer, and im hoping to put on a solar observation day in the summer. I teach at a birmingham based school in the west midlands and although we have just managed to buy ourselves an 8 inch dobsonian, we are in desperate need of getting our hands on a solar telescope, a coronardo PST, would be ideal.

I have done a google search and I can see that some parts of the UK have laon schemes from local universities. However I cannot seem to find any solar scopes to loan / borrow near by.

Are there any solar scopes loan schemes out there? or are there any local astro groups who may have access to them. who are near the Solihull / birmingham area who may be able to assist?

Thank you for your time folks, and I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Ben

Science Teacher / Amatuer Astronomer

STEMNET!

Is your school signed up to STEMNET? (www.stemnet.org.uk) Your branch is run out of the Uni. Speak to them and ask them to advertise for a STEM officer to do some solar astro The STEM branches usually have kit that can be loaned.

Your STEM branch details are:

Julia Kingston

STEM Co-ordinator (Birmingham & Solihull)

University of Birmingham

Room F52

Mechanical Engineering Building

Edgbaston

Birmingham

B15 2TT

STEMNET!

Is your school signed up to STEMNET? (www.stemnet.org.uk) Your branch is run out of the Uni. Speak to them and ask them to advertise for a STEM officer to do some solar astro The STEM branches usually have kit that can be loaned.

Your STEM branch details are:

Julia Kingston

STEM Co-ordinator (Birmingham & Solihull)

University of Birmingham

Room F52

Mechanical Engineering Building

Edgbaston

Birmingham

B15 2TT

If you were closer to me then I could do this for you. I'm a STEMNET ambassador and am actually going into our local school in June with my solar scopes :( (I'm not sure we actually have kit available for loan though, this is just me and my kit).

Helen

Welcome to SGL.

Daft question perhaps. Do you really need to immediately see the sun in Ha? Would white light be sufficient for now?

If white is OK, then some Baader film over your SW200 would do the job for the carriage charge on a loan scope.

Archived