NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M16

E_ri_k

After a month of guiding issues and frustration, I think I have come to the bottom of the problem. Now guiding in MaximDL instead of PHD.

Since everything was working so well I thought I'd "try" grab some shots of M16.

I think it came out pretty good. Better than I expected. What do you guys think.

10" Newt

QHY10

12 x 10 minute subs (2 Hours all up)

Erik.

post-27504-133877776532_thumb.jpg

post-27504-13387777654_thumb.jpg

After a month of guiding issues and frustration, I think I have come to the bottom of the problem. Now guiding in MaximDL instead of PHD.

Good for you. I abandoned PHD a while back because - suddenly, it seemed - I could no longer find any guide stars using a sensible exposure time. Switched to Maxim and never looked back.

It takes a fraction of the time to calibrate, too.

Thanks for the good feedback guys! Yeah PHD was giving me so much grief. The RA was jittery, and when guiding in DEC it would randomly "spike" and move the mount completely off the target! So far Maxim is working very well. Calibrates in a fraction of the time, and guides spot on!

Thanks again.

Erik

Nice image much better than my recent attempt, on the cropped image I notice the stars have dark purple comet trails off to the right (top left most visible), can you tell me what causes that?

Just visited the maximdl web site and avg blocked it with a Blackhole Exploit Kit alert.

Lovely M16, never really get tired of seeing this since the hubble pic was released. I'm just making the switch from Artemis & PHD to Maxim. Our recent spate on bad weather means I've not used it for real yet, only in simulation but it looks really promising for capture & guiding.

Rest assured it will be clear when I am working away this week :)

Just visited the maximdl web site and avg blocked it with a Blackhole Exploit Kit alert.

Try going straight to http://www.cyanogen.com/ instead. Typing Maximdl in google and clicking the link does have a malware hit at the moment.

Danielle, the dark streak was bugging me also. I am using a QHY10. I read on the forum that there is an option called "Clamp" which should be ticked to avoid the streaks. Now after reading it again, I noticed I misread it!...Of corse! It should be UNTICKED to avoid them. Going to try it out tonight....

Erik

Try going straight to http://www.cyanogen.com/ instead. Typing Maximdl in google and clicking the link does have a malware hit at the moment.
Thanks for the link :) Been there and looked at features and price. I can't afford it! :) May try out the 30 day trial but might leave it until later when we get more night-time hours.

Archived