NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scope? (#2)

Oat, As a novice myself, I cannot offer advice on which scope you should choose but I can comment that I have have posted many queries on this forum and have always received sound and impartial advice that has proven to be correct for my needs.

A lot of the members of this forum are very experienced and have vast knowledge that they, in my experience, are only too eager to pass on. As other's have pointed out, there is no agenda regarding their advice and it is offered impartially based n your needs.

In my case I went from considering an all singing all dancing MAK GOTO for my first scope to actually buying a mini-dob reflector and have never regretted that purchase. It suits my needs perfectly thanks to the advice received on this forum.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

buy a £10 scope off the shopping channel. it's only gunna sit in the cupboard anyway with these darn clouds:(. Sorry for the downer, just a bit fed up with this weather. Still things can only get better:D.

I started with a celestron go-to, and then got a manual eq, then motors to make that go-to, then got another alt/az go-to... . I've found that go-to can give me a push to find stuff when time is short (especially given my heavily light-polluted location), but if I have more time, then I actually prefer to hunt stuff down myself. Where motorisation helps for me is tracking objects once found, keeping them in view, especially at higher magnifications. Mind you, given the weather at the moment, my best observing is usually done with 10x50 bins, manually sweeping the skies between breaks in the cloud :).

To some extent I'd agree that storage for a dob vs. other mounted scope is not an issue -in fact the dobs can occupy a smaller footprint, and so don't have boxes and tripods lying all over the place.

Aperture is critical, though to some extent the smaller aperture of the SLT (for example) will be offset by your location, compared to a larger dob in a light-polluted area. On the other hand, big aperture and darker skies....drool!

Good luck with your decision!

It took me at least 3 months research to decide which scope to choose. It's personal choice at the end of the day. I wanted something easy to store, not too heavy, and quite simple to set up.

Back Yard Astronomers Guide is a very good book - well worth a read and helped me choose a scope.

Hi- just returning to some star gazing myself after a longish absence so thought I would pass on my thoughts as to what to buy. First I would not buy anything (yet). Join a local astro club/society and get to actually see the type of telescopes you are considering in action. I am sure members will have something similar you could get a look through. You may be disappointed with the views or pleasantly surprised. A dob is certainly a light bucket (never used one myself) but would certainly be larger than a Mak (convenience). I think it all comes down to what you will use the most. I have a 4" refractor (motorised, Tal). It does not have any goto, but I love it. It has a bit of colour, but nothing to be concerned about in my mind. Ok it will not show the dimmest DSO etc, but a great scope as it will be used. Although I started with an 8" reflector, the refractor was used more often and will be used more now.

hope that may help

rokkerz

As i can't get a reflector on an alt az mount, it will be the 8" dob. There will be a small platfrom in the garden to lift it up 2 feet so that i can view it from standing.

What else do i need?

Are the supplied 10 and 25mm eyepices any good?

What other size eyepieces should i start with?

What finder scopes are good? Telrad or a right angled 9x50? (i know it comes with a finder already)

I will make a solar filter so i can get a chance to see the transit of venus.

I will get a universal camera holder for my compact digital for some easy lunar shots and transit of venus shots.

Thanks again....

Excusing my ignorance on this for a second.... If i got the 200 skywatcher newtonian, could i add a goto motor drive to it? If so how much is such a goto system and is that the cheapest way to get an 8" goto?

Yes it is upgradeable in various ways.

A simple 'clock' or RA drive will keep an object in view while you fiddle with eyepieces, fetch a cup of tea, check charts for identification, etc. You still have to locate the object yourself in the first place though.

Next up is motor drive on both axes. Offers much the same as the above.

After that you can add full goto, or buy another mount that already has goto and sell your 'basic' mount. There are various add-on got kits available. Some just bolt on, other need a bit of effort with tools.

All of these parts are readily available new and used. Most of my scope major items have been bought used. Generally astronomers look after their kit and sell on when upgrading so used kit is usually in good order. There are a few exceptions. But 2nd hand kit buying is another subject.

The important thing (in my opinion anyway) is having flexibility with scope kit. Keep asking and try to have a go with different scopes before spending.

Thanks, but if i wait to long i will miss the transit of venus. The stars may not be going anywhere but the transit is a once in a lifetime....

Damn my luck, it'll be cloudy and raining....

Make sure you get your scope at least 1 full week before the transit ... as it will rain for at least 5 days after arrival of any new astronomy purchase (possibly only 3 days If item was second hand)

:)

Seriously though, good luck with your choice!

Sent from my HD2Droid

It's a shame that the Venus transit is so soon upon us as I feel that this might be putting pressure on you to make a decision now. What ever you end up buying, make sure you get hold of some Baader solar film for your scope otherwise all you will end up seeing is the nurse at your local A&E. I say this because I have read that there appears to be at this time an increase in demand for this product and unless you can guarantee your own supply, it won't make a difference what scope you end up buying - you won't be able to use it for this event.:)

One way round this is to contact your local astro club to see what plans they have for the Venus transit and whether you can go along to join in. That way if its cloudy on the day then you haven't lost anything or if the event is on, you might have the opportunity of witnessing it through some high end kit.

I know the stars might not be going anywhere but I also fear the same for the clouds! Rushing to make a decision very rarely yields a positive result. Check out your astro club, sit back and relax.:):D

James

There will be a small platfrom in the garden to lift it up 2 feet so that i can view it from standing.

Why not try using a chair instead? I use a folding camping stool and it puts the eyepiece at just the right level & makes for comfortable viewing :)

On the subject of viewing while sitting - this is the best way to observe... remember that you need to keep your eye steady (to an accuracy of 1 or 2mm) and you cannot hold on to the scope to steady yourself. Keeping the eye steady is much more difficult when standing.

Building a platform can be done, but be aware this may make the scope less steady.

2 months ago I was trying to decide between the 200p eq5 and the Dob. By the time I decided on the Dob I couldn't find one anywhere,so I went for the eq5 instead.

I've been absolutely blown away with it and I'm glad I picked it as my first scope,but I still had the Dob urge to try one.

Last week I thought I'd go for a second scope,something I could get out quick in between clouds.

I was going to try something smaller but I wanted the same views as my current scope,so I went for the Dob.

The last few nights viewing I go into the shed, look at both and keep on grabbing the Dob everytime. It's so nice to use and you simply put it down wherever you like and you're away.

Also I use a nice comfy office chair on wheels and I simply wheel around while my eye is at the eyepiece.

You can even hold a capuchino in your right hand while your left moves the scope.

I hate to admit this but if I had to decide all over again I would pick the Dob first.

The last few nights viewing I go into the shed, look at both and keep on grabbing the Dob everytime. It's so nice to use and you simply put it down wherever you like and you're away.

Also I use a nice comfy office chair on wheels and I simply wheel around while my eye is at the eyepiece.

You can even hold a capuchino in your right hand while your left moves the scope.

I hate to admit this but if I had to decide all over again I would pick the Dob first.

pretty much sums up my thoughts on dobs !

Here you go, just thought I'd share a picture. The chair is from Argos and the folding table was on a clearance offer from amazon reduced from £179 to £35 6 foot by 4 foot. Plenty of room for eyepiece cases and camera gear.

6daa2fd8.jpg

It's a shame that the Venus transit is so soon upon us as I feel that this might be putting pressure on you to make a decision now.

Yes it is prompting a puchase, but worst case scenario would i see it with my binoculars? If so i could just make a filter for them. (they're Nikon 10-22 x 50)

Why not try using a chair instead?

I don't have a decent hard standing in the garden yet to wheel around on. We are in the process of landscaping it as we just house a large extension on the house.

I was going to try something smaller but I wanted the same views as my current scope,so I went for the Dob.

Was that the 8" dob in the pic? or is it smaller one? Good pic, so if it's an 8" it gives me a good guide as to the size, height etc. Thanks

Go Dob.....

Goto is brilliant if you know the sky.

Sorry, do you mean ... brilliant if you DON'T know the sky? I don't... :)

Thanks, but if i wait to long i will miss the transit of venus. The stars may not be going anywhere but the transit is a once in a lifetime....

Damn my luck, it'll be cloudy and raining....

Order an A4 sheet of Baader solar film.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

With bit of sticky tape and some old birthday cards you can make filters for binoculars, any old scope, etc.

That way you get to see the transit and choose your proper scope without pressure.

To see the transit you don't need anything posh in the scope line. You just need to avoid burnt retinas!

I have bought a big piece for the transit, to make filters for an 80mm refractor and 10x50 binos.

Archived