NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cosmos for Beginners - BBC2 tonight 1 of 6

Rob

My mum phoned me to tell me about it after it finished :(

She said that it's a 6 part program, so hopefully I'll get to see it next week.

Trouble is for me is the time - slap bang in the "putting Jamie to sleep time".

Thanks for the heads up on the free poster! Jamie will like that on his play room wall!

Ant

Slightly confused with the content as the presenter ended by saying (when) we ever decide to send messages blah blah, well we have, The Arecibo message was sent toward M13, a star cluster some 25,000 light-years away, which means that it will take 25,000 years to get there. However, the signal will pass near some 30 stars along the way. Now fair enough this is a radio signal type, however the programme seemed to indicate that nothing has been done. was good to watch though.

The OU/BBC are making some cracking 'pop' science programmes right now, just the right balance between science and entertainment. This may sound silly, but Cosmos and the like aren't really meant for enthusiasts of the fields that the programmes cover (such as Coast for Geologists for example) so for stargazers, there isn't going to be a great deal of info but as television for the masses it works a treat and it kept me amused for 30 mins which is all I want from TV.

Darnsight better than Big Brother and Dance X.....

Tony..

• 2 weeks later...

Well my poster(s) turned up this morning along with a nice magazine type booklet.

The 2 posters are huge!! 8 A4 sheets folded. One is titled Planets, Life & Exploration and the other Astronomy & The Universe

Has anyone else recieved theirs yet?

Archived