First solar pic

broony

well, using my telescope. I ordered some baader film but its not arrived and I got impatient, just wanted to see what the sun was like through scope. Please bear in mind, therefore, that this was a photo taken of the image projected straight onto my bedroom wall, so its not going to be amazing.

sunspot%20May%2012-small.jpg

And for those who fancy a quick pic with their DSLR and no protection film, this is what has happened to my hardly used 10mm lens......the 25mm i used for the pic above didn't have much plastic in it and also had a light pollution filter still attached...the 10mm had nothing. I first smelled burning...then smoke coming from the tube! Oh, well, I was going to buy a better quality one anyway

lensmelt.jpg

Which scope were you using??

This unfortunately is one of the "downsides" to trying out solar projection!!

I can assure you you will definately get better results (and safer!) from the Baader Solar film.

Good shot BTW, other than the bits of melted plastic on the left hand side ;-)

Given the desperation method you were using, that's a fine result. Look forward to better once said film arrives. Fortunately I'm not that far from the Widescreen-Centre so I popped in the store for some yesterday. Cost £20 and I've seen it online for £19. Everyone's grabbing it up for the Venus transit at the moment.

Thanks for the comments. You can count on me to do something wrong haha, but as above, at least I wasn't daft enough to use my eyes.

yeah, got the baader film of Amazon for £20. Just off to hunt for a good quality 10mm eyepiece now

Here's a question, with the baader film in place (either full aperture or with 2 inch hole), is it still unsafe to look through eyepiece of DSLR attached to the telescope..with eyes?

It was my Skywatcher 130, 25mm eyepiece

well, using my telescope. I ordered some baader film but its not arrived and I got impatient, just wanted to see what the sun was like through scope. Please bear in mind, therefore, that this was a photo taken of the image projected straight onto my bedroom wall, so its not going to be amazing.

And for those who fancy a quick pic with their DSLR and no protection film, this is what has happened to my hardly used 10mm lens......the 25mm i used for the pic above didn't have much plastic in it and also had a light pollution filter still attached...the 10mm had nothing. I first smelled burning...then smoke coming from the tube! Oh, well, I was going to buy a better quality one anyway

LOL :) Thanks for sharing your experience ;) I've done the same experiment when I was 10, with a small reflector telescope. I remember how the camera film roll melt in front of the eyepiece projection :headbang: the eyepieces are still alive though... but the primary mirror is kinda useless today because I did that silly thing several times... :)

Nice sun picture by the way, I never thought that a projection could give such detail :)

haha, glad I am not the only one. It probably helps that my walls are white, but other than adding some false colour, and making the white walls black, the detail is exactly what could be seen.

I was very happy !

• 2 years later...

Snap, that's exactly how my 10mm sw "kit" eyepiece went but the lens cracked as well. I had no idea the plastic was going to melt but I suppose it's obvious really. I would have thought metal would get hot enough to crack the glass as well.

Archived