NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do We Really Need The Moon?

JamesF

10pm tonight, BBC4:

Space scientist Maggie Aderin-Pocock explores Earth's relationship with its satellite, explaining why it is responsible for the ebb and flow of the tides, dictates the length of a day and provides a rhythm for the seasons. She also details how, despite once being closer to the planet, the moon is now perfectly placed to help sustain life, using computer-generated imagery to reveal what would happen if it were removed from the equation.

Repeat. An interesting programme, but unfortunately I find her presentation style really gets on my grollies.

James

She's a very enthusiastic person but the intonation of her speech...with the all the unnecessary pauses...between every phrase...can get on your proverbials.

Tis an interesting programme though all the same.

She's a very enthusiastic person but the intonation of her speech...with the all the unnecessary pauses...between every phrase...can get on your proverbials.

That's exactly it. I find it very distracting, which is a shame because it's great to see people other than BC who are so engaged with their subject making science documentaries. Not that I have a problem with Brian Cox, but he and Jim Khalili seem to have cornered the market a bit and I think the more people who do it the better.

Indeed.

James

I agree. She is certainly enthusiastic but her delivery is off putting, especially for an hour - found myself actually yearning for adverts for a change. Problem is, the speech is so far removed from what we hear in everyday conversation that it is difficult to listen to 'naturally'. I suppose the style does actually force you to pay attention to some degree but I would prefer it more relaxed. Same goes for Mr Cox to a large extent. Was an interesting programme though without a doubt.

I just wish she wouldn't wave her hand about, She's expressive enough without that too. I enjoyed the programme though.

I wonder how near the truth, is the way it is believed the moon came into existence though?

It's plausible enough, but there must be other likely explanations.

Ron.

yes seen this before, good programme but like you say, her voice and pause speach is shocking. I just imagined it was John Culshaw doing it and found it very entertaining lol

I tried to watch it a little while ago when it was on first time round, but only made it halfway for the very same reason....

Did you make it to the end? What was the conclusion? Yes or No?

I tried to watch it a little while ago when it was on first time round, but only made it halfway for the very same reason....

Did you make it to the end? What was the conclusion? Yes or No?

Yes, we need the moon, apparantly we would wobble too much without it (The earth I mean :-) ) and there would be a shift in the length of our days/nights.

It was something like that, my wife started talking about her day :-)

Haven't seen the programme yet, but I agree, we do actually need the moon, wretched nuisance though it is for Deep Sky watchers. Speaking as someone who's very fond of mussels and other tidal seafood...

Personally, I could do without it, especially when it's full and I'm DSO hunting. Though I could be persuaded to keep it if a dimmer switch was installed:)

Could we perhaps spray the entire nearside with totally non-reflective black paint? I concede, this might upset quite a few SGL'ers and other astronomers...:clouds2:

On reflection, another solution: swap our Moon with Saturn's Iapetus, and then line it up appropriately....

Archived