NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ring nebula IKI70 ED

bigal1

Hey all i managed another test a few nights ago with my recently aquired IKI70 ED scope , M57 wasn't my first choice for testing using such a small scope but the clouds were moving in fast and M57 is so easy to locate that was the one . I was seeing how my Skywatcher field flattener performed and it has sure made a good difference although i still have elongated stars but no where near as bad as without , next time out i'll test with different spacers as somebody else at SGL had better results using a 10mm spacer . Equipment used was an IKI70 ED scope and a Canon 1000d mounted on a CG-4 with motors installed , final image is a stack of 57 lights @ 60 second exposure 800 iso plus matching darks flats and bias frame ( first time trying to use flats and bias ) .

Regards Alan

post-18835-133877772104_thumb.jpg

post-18835-133877772114_thumb.jpg

It looked liked the clouds might part tonight enough to see something. Well, they did for a while just before dark but while I could see the odd couple of planets and a few brighter stars in places, by the time it got dark enough to do any imaging the clouds covered most of the sky again. So I gave up at 22:30, parked the scopes and closed the roof, shut everything down and packed up for the night.

Much better than my attempt last night I would reiterate laser_jock99's comment about the widerfield shot as it demonstrates the locality and comparitive size of this nebulosity nicely. Really is ideally located for finding almost slap bang in the middle of γLyrae and βLyrae, which really helps numpties like me :clouds2:

Archived