NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do you Guy's make your Baader Solar filter?

OXO

Hi Chaps,

I have bought some Baader Solar Film for making a Solar Filter just wondering how you chaps that use it made your Solar filter?

Thinking of putting it on the underside of the lens Cap and using the Stop down cap to let the Sun in, wondering on which Glue is best for holding the Film to the Plastic Cap?..

Thanks

James :clouds1:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did exactly that James when I was in a rush for the last eclipse - I just used masking tape.

This isn't ideal though.

The idea that I had was to have a tube that fits down into the "Stop Down" hole and have the filter on the en of that. You'd have to rig up a stopper of some sort (another couple of layers of card) to stop the tube falling into the scope.

Ant

• 8 months later...
Insert Quote

It works for me very well with the ED100 and ED80 (used the same filter for both as they are both in a 100mm tube). For £15 you can't really go wrong. I used the card from the backing of the filter film hehe

That's good to hear Gordon as iam intending on using the ED80 for this :laugh:

James, if you make 2 strips of cardboard about 2" wide that are long enough to go around your dewshield on the ED80. Wrap one around tight and then tape it into a closed ring. Place the other strip around that one and again tape it into a complete ring. Slide the outer ring off and then place the film infront of the objective and then fold the edges around, place the outer ring back over the inner ring trapping the film and then wrap the whole thing in tape to secure it together. The whole filter should be able to slide off the objective with a bit of pull but shouldn't fall off if just held upside down.

Its easier to do than i make it sound, honest!

Hi All,

James here, no not that James, this James. :laugh:

Thanks for all the replys :wink:

Just so I'm clear. I can use the film on the small opeining 'stop down' hole in my 8" reflectors front cover?? And this will be OK for looking through with eyes?? Just want to be 100% certian. As like Tom say's 'you only get one set of peepers' [And mine are bad enough as it is already :glasses3:

Thanks

James F.

Just to be safe :laugh:

Whilst I do not wish to discourage anyone from making thier own solar filter, I would like to remind people that VIEWING THE SUN IS POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS!

Safe, professionally made, affordable solar filters are available from reputable dealers.

NEVER VIEW THE SUN WITHOUT A SUITABLE SOLAR FILTER!!!

Thanks Steve, warning will be heeded!!! :salute:

Thanks Daz, I'd triple check, then check with my hand first! Rather it burn them my eyes!

That is of course when we get any sun! :sunny:

Woud it be easy enough to rig up a view screen?

James F.

Archived