Saturn 06/04 AS!2 V Registax 6

rawhead

Seen mention of AS!2 so thought I'd give it a go.

Found a half decent tutorial on cloudy nights and off I went.

I used some Saturn AVIs from average seeing last time out.

I was amazed at the improvement. :hello2:

To my eyes what ever I try more or less turns out the same. This time I could see a definite improvement.

The AS!2 image below has been sharpened using the Lucy Richardson way. No input from Registax at all!

Might be clear tonight. The first chance to get out in over a month! Fingers crossed...........

Registax 6

regi.jpg

AS!2 + Lucy Richardson

aslucy.jpg

I'm an AS!2 convert :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific looking Image

Certainly very detailed and sharp,

the C division is really well defined.

Will you add colour given the opportunity?

I know you are at the mercy of the weather :hello2:.

Ron.

Thanks Barkis. I'm definitely going to try for a colour capture next time out.

Thanks Jack. I used a Tal 200K (8'' Klev), Tal X3 Barlow and a DMK cam with a 618 chip....

Nice work I've been using AS2 for a while and much prefer it to reg6 for the alignment, any chance you could post the link to the cloudy nights tutorial you found ;)

regards

Jason

Hi Jason,

Tutorial is probably pushing it a bit. Post 1 outlines the basics. Definitely worth reading the whole thread:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5059758/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Gaz: AS!2 is short for AutoStakkert! 2. You can download it here:

http://www.autostakkert.com/

Use the walk through above.

Basically there are five steps (I'm still a noob with this myself!):

1. Open the AVI

2. Analyse it

Select the stack size

Set the alignment points

3. Stack

The resulting un-sharpened TIF is loaded into a subdirectory from where you originally loaded the AVI

You can then use registax wavelets to sharpen, or any other software....

HTH

Cheers

Seen mention of AS!2 so thought I'd give it a go.

Found a half decent tutorial on cloudy nights and off I went.

I used some Saturn AVIs from average seeing last time out.

I was amazed at the improvement. ;)

To my eyes what ever I try more or less turns out the same. This time I could see a definite improvement.

The AS!2 image below has been sharpened using the Lucy Richardson way. No input from Registax at all!

Might be clear tonight. The first chance to get out in over a month! Fingers crossed...........

Registax 6

regi.jpg

AS!2 + Lucy Richardson

aslucy.jpg

I'm an AS!2 convert :eek:

The lucy richardson seems to be producing artifacts. ive seen these on riks images. who also uses lucy richardson. and the artifacts look identical.

Think i need to start using AS/2 more i have been using it. but not at its full potential, i should be doing map more, and a stacked reference frame. whats the best way to create a stacked reference frame on AS/2 ? im sure i can figure for myself. But i have time to wait as my scopes in peices waiting to fit a new fan. The first has more blur of course. But the deconvolution hasnt done the problems the image has any favours. Not sure what to think of your example convolution clearly sharpening the image nicely. But at a cost.

Looks like seeing was a bit unsteady. So a good result with that in mind. what software are you using for lucy richardson Jon

Thanks for that Rawhead....... I have a fair few avi's, which are at best average so I will give AS!2 a go and see what happens. This planetary imaging lark is way more difficult than DSO imaging IMO...... lol.

Gaz

Well, here is my 1st planetary image for, mmmm, a good few years. Imaging kit, SW 300P Flextube Synscan + SPC900NC (flashed) + Antares 2x Barlow.

After reading through this thread and Rawhead's info re AS!2 I reprocessed this Saturn avi. It is still not great but much better than it was processed through Registax.

I still ahve to work on focusing, perhapse sceop collimation and general camera settings while shooting (using Sharpcap btw).

Anyway, C&C welcome as usual folks........ ;)

Gaz

post-13351-133877770853_thumb.jpg

Love AS!2 as I do the difference in these images is down to the different sharpening/deconvolution work. If the registax image is given more gamma and some extra deconvolution (using image analyser) it becomes identical to the as!2 version. ;)

Howdy,

After downloading AS!2 earlier today and going through some of my avi's I am getting the following message on some of them, anyone happen to know what it means?? As I say, it only pops up on some of them.

'color yuv (invalid range! compensation attempted)'

Any help/advice apprieciated.

Gaz

Love AS!2 as I do the difference in these images is down to the different sharpening/deconvolution work. If the registax image is given more gamma and some extra deconvolution (using image analyser) it becomes identical to the as!2 version. ;)

A AS2 non beliver lol. Is someone suggesting that r6 might be as good. To be honest i was going to do a test tonight on a sharp jupiter image. to finally suss this out once and for all. But it took ages to do just the AS2 version so i didnt bother. Jury still out. other than what i read.

I tend to use the small 25 size alignment box in AS2 and do multi in a grid mode, this gives loads of points all around and over the planet which seems to give the best results.

regards

Peter

Something else to try ;)

Thanks for the info Peter..

A AS2 non beliver lol. Is someone suggesting that r6 might be as good. To be honest i was going to do a test tonight on a sharp jupiter image. to finally suss this out once and for all. But it took ages to do just the AS2 version so i didnt bother. Jury still out. other than what i read.

As you proved on another thread Neil different wavelet settings can produce various results. as!2 is still my number one purely as it's extra speed enables us to experiment so much more with different stack sizes and alignment points etc. Being able to manually edit frames would be a bonus of course. ;)

As you proved on another thread Neil different wavelet settings can produce various results. as!2 is still my number one purely as it's extra speed enables us to experiment so much more with different stack sizes and alignment points etc. Being able to manually edit frames would be a bonus of course. ;)

Im going to test this as fair a test as i can soon. Using the same settings and alignment points frames, sharpening. identical as far as i can. A mono image might be quicker stay tuned.

Looking forward to the verdict Neil ;)

Getting mixed results with Jupiter. Wavelets seem to be working better than Lucy Richardson.

This one turned out quite nicely.

From October 15th Last year.

Jupiter and Io

AS!2 + R6 wavelets

io.jpg

Archived