NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How would I know?

looking at sun through bins/scope without a solar filter will destroy your eyesight instantly [it burns the back of your eye were the cone's and rod's are, also think it would destroy the optic nerve and probably the lense as well. long term exposure to bright light sources can lead to cataracts [ie cloudy lens] looking at the sun is realy hard to do your body go's into defence mode squinting /closing of eye's and blinding head ache as your optic nerve is subjected to to much light .

the problem with this sort of thing is that there's a lot of supposition and mis-information on the internet. I'd really like to see a detailed report of the risks etc of various types of solar observing. My own understanding is that a glimpse through an optical aid is no worse than a glimpse with the naked eye. I'd not like to try it in fairness and would certainly not recommend it, but would like to read more. Anyone know of such an article?

It all depends on how you do it, I think. Looking through a telescope would of course fry the retina quite quickly, but other ways may take a little longer.

In my teens I was fond of taking sunsets through my SLR. Didn;t hink anything of it at the time - got a few black spots for a while afterwards, but nothing else. But after a while they accumulated until now I have a blind spot in my right eye that is very close to the centre and I can only think that was caused by those photgraphic sessions.

Take care never to do it, just in case.

think that i would err on the cautious side tbh [have always been told it will destroy your eyesight . i had to do welding when i was an apprentice [electric] and had a flash burn [the retina basically get's too much light and the optic nerve shut's down for a while [go's into shock i think][basically a guy struck an arc on the welder as i was going by and i got a flash [it was like having burning sand flung in my eye and couldn't see for 2-3 hours out the eye [went to hospital and got eye drop's and pad put on it but for a few days i had a blind spot in the eye [which gradually got better ] i would imagine a sun flash would be much worse through a magnified view

Wow. Good thread. How can u know if u buy a filter that its a good one? I was thinking of getting a filter for the transit of venus but watching by attatching my little camera afocally and viewing thru my camera's digital display. Probably with sunglasses on. As an added precaution perhaps I could wrap myself in foil.

Wow. Good thread. How can u know if u buy a filter that its a good one? I was thinking of getting a filter for the transit of venus but watching by attatching my little camera afocally and viewing thru my camera's digital display. Probably with sunglasses on. As an added precaution perhaps I could wrap myself in foil.

lol blinded and cooked to perfection :(

the baader solar filter seems to be the weapon of choice [it's double sided apaprently so it's pretty safe [was at a sun scope thing in glasgow to day ] and the guy was excellent in his knowledge he reccomended this stuff Baader A4 AstroSolar Solar Filter Material ND 5.0 as it is what they were using apparently

It's never a good idea on an open forum to suggest that solar observing without a filter is safe in any way shape or form.

There is a great potential for serious damage.

If anyone wants more details of a current research program under way re accidental blinding/ eye damage during solar observing -just drop me a PM.

Just to be clear I was in no way suggesting that unfiltered observing of the sun is in any way safe. It clearly isn't and my comments surely could not be interpreted as such. My comments were aimed at correct information being understood and available rather than assumption etc. PM sent to M66 as I certainly want to read more.

All that I can add is that using proven and recommended solar filters for white light and Ha observations on a regular daily basis for 20 years, I have so far, experienced no related eye problems whatsoever. My conclusion is, that done properly, solar observation is safe. :(

There are reports of people who have suffered from progressive, degenerative eye conditions and not realised until going blind in the second eye, though I would imagine the development of any solar retinopathy would be a fairly rapid process. Possibly painless too - I don't think the eye contains any pain receptors. Personally I'm not keen to discover the answers to any of this for myself.

Not a good idea, full stop.

But I could imagine a situation where someone thinks they are safe as viewing is comfortable with some bodged up filter made out of who knows what, but still full unfiltered IR or UV energy is focused into the back of the eye.

I would simply say this. Don't look at the sun unless you have a known good filter of some sort, e.g. Baader Film. *AND* understand what it is you are doing.

As for a split second with binos? Then maybe he was lucky and was unfocused and not directly viewing? I cannot believe a focused pair of bins square onto the sun at altitude and no cloud didn't sear the back of his eyeballs out.

Remember, not everything you read on the Internet is true.

Cheers

Ian

Having seen what focusing the sun's image onto paper/card does instantaneously - DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN WITHOUT THE CORRECT FILTERS.

BLINDNESS MIGHT OCCUR.

I'm locking this thread now as I believe that it is dangerous for it to continue, and gives the wrong impression for a beginner reading this thread.

As for the OP - I would suggest going to see an optician - it's the only way to know for sure.

Ant

Archived