Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Website that shows whats possible through different scopes

Hi all,

There is a website out there that allows you to put your scope details in and it shows you what is viewable through your eyepiece, but I cannot remember what it's called. I'm sure I saved it to my favourites, but cannot find it.

Someone out there must know what I am talking about.

Thanks

On a personal note, I'd use 12 Dimensional lightly. It's a rough guide that may help but it will not show you what you will see through your eyepiece.

For example, take Saturn: to get anything near what I'm seeing in a 12mm EP through my scope, I have to plug in on the guide a Baader Ortho 5mm, and even then it comes over as being too small. In real life, if I use a 7mm, 6mm, or 5mm it blows this guide out of the water. And that's viewing from an inner city.

On the other hand, I certainly do not see the DSO's as the guide seems to suggest I would. Nothing like the detail or clarity.

Be it image size or viewing potential, in my case, at least, the site is not a help.

On a personal note, I'd use 12 Dimensional lightly. It's a rough guide that may help but it will not show you what you will see through your eyepiece...

I agree. The seeing conditions, state of collimation of the scope, eyepiece quality and observer experience can all significantly impact (negatively and positively) the actual quality of view of both the planets and deep sky objects.

Seeing conditions (including light pollution) particularly can make a huge difference.

Simulators can't take the above factors into account so should be taken with a healthy "Pinch of salt" !

How about the Ocular plug-in on Stellarium , you can load in all your scopes , eyepieces and camera chip details and see which combination suits the target best.

Could you post a link and how to do this ?

Thanks

Archived