SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M100 between clouds and rain

Quatermass

When is this rain going to let up? Any way got out last night and captured M100 and the Iris Nebula so was pleased to get out and get some fresh air again. Changed my deepsky stacker setting around a bit which has helped but beginning to feel the need for a cooled ccd camera. Laptop hard drive died on me today just as I got the subs of it phew..:)

M100 reminds me of a mini M101 :)

m100%2520master%2520image%2520copy.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree mate, the clouds have given me some time to re-evaluate how I use my kit.

I've recently made the decision to shift everything around, so I'm going to put the Atik 16HR CCD on the 200p and side by side mount it with the ST80 to guide. The modded 1000D is going to live on the ED80/FR and I'll interchange between ED80 & 200p dependant on target. If I ever get an obsy I'll just drop all 3 on the same mount :)

I'm considering the idea of getting a SW 200PDS OTA and hanging it on my NEQ6. More magnification and more light gathering than my ED80. Better for galaxies (and with the extra FL, for planetary).

I'm considering the idea of getting a SW 200PDS OTA and hanging it on my NEQ6. More magnification and more light gathering than my ED80. Better for galaxies (and with the extra FL, for planetary).

ED80 is a brilliant widefield scope but tricky to get up close and personal with some of the smaller DSO's like the crab, ring neb etc.. even with a tiny CCD chip. I think that's where a newt like the 200p will come into it's own, providing better scale on objects like M51,M101,M81/82.

I only got the ed80 for widefiled shots of subjects like nebula and big galaxys like m31 for all the smaller stuff the 200p does a great job but its nice to have both. Next stop will be upgrading my mount and converting my shed to an observatory. I really hate lugging a laptop outside it works very well for focusing and controlling the camera though so it has to be used but I would rather do with out it any day of the week so having that in the shed would be better all round. Sitting out side in the cold peering at your lap top controlling your telescope and camera is not ideal. I had a dream that I won thousands of pounds and bought an eq6 cooled ccd camera and my own observatory, then I woke up..

How far do oyu have to put your mount away from the house? I'm running all my stuff of the end of a 10m active USB cable to an un-powered USB hub with no problems. That's the mount, camera, filter wheel, guide camera, capture software and guiding software. Which all means I can sit in the warmth and fall asleep on the sofa in between filter changes which I currently do manually as I'm still using artemis capture.

I have got two 10m cables ready to do this with and run it all from the shed but until this wet weather clears up and I can get out in the garden and sort it all out it will be a while. Mind you I do like being outside as well if the weather is ok.

How about 2 laptops (or laptop + PC) and a wireless network? One stays with the mount (in a plastic box), then use the other to control it (and transfer subs) using Tight VNC (works much like remote assistance). Thats how I normally set up, I did it at SGL7 too so I could control/monitor it all from the relative comfort of the tent.

Your mount will take the 250 PDS, i suppose that's 40% more light than a 200....:)

Nice Image as always QM....

Excellent image QM, very clean. I'm in the midst of a cloud and rain depression at present. Not seen a sniff of a clear sky in weeks. Big problem is it doesn't look like changing any time soon. I've started pretending I'm not into astronomy to try and get through it :)

How about 2 laptops (or laptop + PC) and a wireless network? One stays with the mount (in a plastic box), then use the other to control it (and transfer subs) using Tight VNC (works much like remote assistance). Thats how I normally set up, I did it at SGL7 too so I could control/monitor it all from the relative comfort of the tent.

That sounds like a good plan for later on when I get the hard drive fixed on my dell cheers Uranium :)

Your mount will take the 250 PDS, i suppose that's 40% more light than a 200....:(

Nice Image as always QM....

Thank you tinker blowing a gale here in suffolk!

Excellent image QM, very clean. I'm in the midst of a cloud and rain depression at present. Not seen a sniff of a clear sky in weeks. Big problem is it doesn't look like changing any time soon. I've started pretending I'm not into astronomy to try and get through it :)

Cheers slim,Yes wet and very windy here as well still it might blow those clouds away with any luck then we can get out there again

Very nice little spiral. Loads of detail. Well done indeed.

Thank Rik just down loaded APT again and bought the full version as Backyard wont run with out .net installed and it wont install to save my life bah bought that one two as I like them both.:p

The weather has been slightly better here today but we were cut off from the world when our telephone exchange was down all afternoon - probably flooded or cabled blown down. Anyway it was dreadful! :) I hate it when there's no internet!!

The weather has been slightly better here today but we were cut off from the world when our telephone exchange was down all afternoon - probably flooded or cabled blown down. Anyway it was dreadful! :) I hate it when there's no internet!!

We had that all day yesterday but now the power is back on and tonight it looks like its going to be clear skys but the wind might be a bit much :) Hope you get a clear night tonight :(

Archived